Discussion Forum

New Phyrexian Draft

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=182050

This was my first tournament, and i cant help but wonder why i did so well, because this deck feels to be all over the place. It has a few infects, a few artifacts, but does not qualify for metalcraft or infect kill deck. Maybe it balances preety well. My strategy was basically putting creatures out, doing damage when i can, than puting out True Conviction and attacking with everything if the game drew out. My angel let me gain life, my 2 preists helped me gain creatures.

The only time i lost was due to the Legendary Zombie in New Phyrexia that could summon cards out of my graveyard while milling my deck, i lost straight out first time against him, and than when he was summoned the second time i managed to hold him off and draw him out, but otherwise, it feels that this deck did very well.

So my question is, Why did i do so well, or is 3-1 not that great in 4 rounds draft on my first time?

The funniest win for me, is when i mulliganed down to 4 cards (i wasnt familiar with mulligan rules, thought i got a free mulligan before cards started get taken away and than had no mana on 6 and 5 draw) and still ended up winning the turn.
Posted 09 May 2011 at 10:38

15 land is extremly low. Looking at the deck I'm guessing your opponents where new players as well and you got lucky.
Posted 09 May 2011 at 14:25

15 out of 42 seems pretty average to me
Posted 10 May 2011 at 14:05

Thank you Seth and Seras for taking a look.

I followed my old rule of 1 land for every 2 spells
I was only mana screwed one game, where i had 3 forests on the board and no plains, on 3rd turn couldn't cast anything despite having a pretty good hand. This was 4th round, 1st game, i proceeded to win that round against someone who has been playing 10+ years and seem to be better prepared from his supplies.

Also, even if my lands are on the lower side, the mana curve on my deck is around 50 percent w/ 2 mana and 70 percent w/ 3 mana, so i thought it would be ok to have a lower amount of mana, what do you think on mana compared to mana curve?

One thing i would like to know is if anyone would recommend more plains and less forests, for the most part i alternated my lands PF with the rare land somewhere in the middle.
Posted 10 May 2011 at 18:46