Discussion Forum

Shapeshifting and you.

Tried finding the answer to this question already, and it's either not here or I'm too stupid to word the search correctly

I'm building a Shapeshifter deck and have a question about the ability.

Here's the setup... I have a Cryptoplasm in play, on my upkeep I copy something, let's say a Serra Angel. According to Cryptoplasm it becomes a Serra Angel with the additional text "At the beginning of your upkeep, you may have Cryptoplasm become a copy of another target creature. If you do, Cryptoplasm gains this ability."

Now I play a Clone... On casting I have the Clone copy the shifted Cryptoplasm... What does the Clone come in as?

Is it...
1) a copy of Cryptoplasm
2) a copy of Serra Angel
3) a copy of Cryptoplasm AS Serra Angel with the additional text intact

My gut says it's 3 but I'd like to be sure. Thanks for reading :)
Posted 10 May 2011 at 02:24

I'm not 100% certain but Cryptoplasm becomes a Serra Angel. It then has the ability to become a copy of anything at the beginning of the upkeep so clone would come in as an exact copy as it, meaning the clone could become any creature during your upkeep.
Posted 10 May 2011 at 05:27

oh copy effects, you so complicated. This is one of those lovely little things the comp rules help out with, so if we swing over to them, we see that in rule 706.2, the copiable values include the printed card as modified by any other copy effects (as well as other stuff, but that's irrelevant for this ruling). So, we've got a Clone that's a Serra Angel with the added text from Cryptoplasm. Sorted.
Posted 17 May 2011 at 01:31