Discussion Forum

Echo Mage issues

Okay so heres the problem. I was playing a friend the other day and he had a lvl 4 echo mage out on the field. When i tried bringing out creatures hed use its effect and copy an essence scatter frm his GRAVEYARD.... can he do that:confused:? i was certain that he cant. Im pretty new to the game so then again i could be wrong. Any help on this matter would be helpful. Thanks
Posted 10 May 2011 at 06:37

[QUOTE=chop stiks]Okay so heres the problem. I was playing a friend the other day and he had a lvl 4 echo mage out on the field. When i tried bringing out creatures hed use its effect and copy an essence scatter frm his GRAVEYARD.... can he do that:confused:? i was certain that he cant. Im pretty new to the game so then again i could be wrong. Any help on this matter would be helpful. Thanks[/QUOTE]

he can not do that. as i recall, echo mage simply copies spells on the stack, or more specifically, replicates that distinct effect onto the stack. the result would go as such:

original spell
echo mage effect--^

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

echo mage effect (targeting original spell)
original spell
replicated spell

a spell in the graveyard, unless it directly specifies the ability to act upon the stack from the graveyard zone, can not be copied to 'force' it to act upon the stack since it has to act upon it before any action to replicate the effect can even be made.

if he had a spell in the graveyard that had say, flashback, and he payed the flashback cost, thus making the spell act upon the stack from the graveyard, then the echo mage would be able to replicate the effects. this is not the case though, so your friend is either ill informed, or...well you understand :)
Posted 10 May 2011 at 08:52

okay for the clarification. I was about to say, if he could do tht then id use my echo mage to keep copying time warp from my graveyard and rule the game :) oh well
Posted 10 May 2011 at 17:24

Just to make future cards easier for you, a spell is only a spell while it's on the stack. If anything refers to a spell, it refers to a spell on the stack and nothing else. So that essence scatter in the yard getting copied is right out.
Posted 17 May 2011 at 01:27