Discussion Forum

blocking Phyrexian Obliterater

So I know if that if you deal damage to phyrexian obliterater you have to sacrifice that many permanents, but what I was wondering is if I attack/block a phyrexian obliterater with say a 9/9 ajani's pridemate then do i sacrifive 9 permanents or 5?, what happens if the pridemate has trample?
Posted 16 May 2011 at 22:01

Any amount of damage translates to that many sacrificed permanents, even if it is lethal, or even beyond lethal amounts.

As for trample...eh...that is a bit more complicated. I think it would actually be better for you if you had trample because lethal (5) damage effects the Obliterator, and the rest (4) "tramples over" to the opponent. I might very well be wrong about that though. I honestly can't recall if that's how it works or if it would be that 9 damage is dealt...5 is lethal, and 4 continues...but since 9 was initially done then 9 permanents are sac'd...

Ironically I haven't had to deal with the rules of trample in a very long time, so my memory is a little fuzzy.
Posted 16 May 2011 at 22:28

Alright thanks, I'll try asking other people I know IRL.
Posted 16 May 2011 at 22:36

if trample's involved, then only 5 damage is dealt to the obliterator (the other 4 trampling over), so you'd only have to sac 5 permanents.
Posted 17 May 2011 at 01:24

[QUOTE=NightLoki]if trample's involved, then only 5 damage is dealt to the obliterator (the other 4 trampling over), so you'd only have to sac 5 permanents.[/QUOTE]

WOOHOO! I was right! :D
Posted 17 May 2011 at 02:11

[QUOTE=NightLoki]if trample's involved, then only 5 damage is dealt to the obliterator (the other 4 trampling over), so you'd only have to sac 5 permanents.[/QUOTE]

Not quite. It's important to note the circumstances here. If you're attacking with a 9/9 trample, and are blocked by Phyrexian Obliterator, then lethal damage (5) would be dealt to Obliterator, and the remaining 4 would be dealt to the opponent. You would then sacrifice five permanents. However, if the Phyrexian Obliterator is attacking, and you block with a 9/9 trample, you will inflict lethal "overkill" (9) to the Obliterator and sacrifice nine permanents, as trample doesn't do anything on a blocker.

I thought that'd be important to mention since the thread is titled "blocking Phyrexian Oblitorator" and the original question didn't distinguish between attacking and blocking.
Posted 18 May 2011 at 13:10

@ Savaj

Trampling over damage to defending player is a May ability I believe. You could totally be a high-roller and deal all 9 damage to that Obliterator. Bye bye 9 permanants, like a champ.
Posted 18 May 2011 at 21:29

but phy obrilerator is an overpriced mythic, there are sooo many good cards that can easily counter ur strat
Posted 19 May 2011 at 17:45

a 5/5 trample for 4 mana is awesome enough, his other ability more than justifies this card rising to the top 3 for the set.

his price moving forward will depend directly on if monoblack returns to being viable in Standard.
Posted 19 May 2011 at 18:09

Oh seras, i got a question about splinter twin. Since no one answer so i guess I'll ask here. My opponent cast splinter twin, i allowed it to resolve, and then he tapped his exarch, in response i naturalize his splinter twin. Does this means that he will get a copy of exarch, but then the splinter twin will be destroyed, thus i stopped his infinite twin combo?
Posted 19 May 2011 at 20:49

Yes, that is the correct order to perform it in. You must destroy the Splinter Twin in response to him activating Exarch. Otherwise your destruction ability is on the bottom of the stack and he can make a million twins before letting it resolve.
Posted 19 May 2011 at 21:53

[QUOTE=olataro]Oh seras, i got a question about splinter twin. Since no one answer so i guess I'll ask here. My opponent cast splinter twin, i allowed it to resolve, and then he tapped his exarch, in response i naturalize his splinter twin. Does this means that he will get a copy of exarch, but then the splinter twin will be destroyed, thus i stopped his infinite twin combo?[/QUOTE]

That's a very good question. I'm not 100% sure if the Exarch token coming into play has to resolve first, letting him untap the original to respond to the naturalize to go infinite...

Edit: @ TheRabbit. Okay, that makes sense to me haha. Glad I know how it works cause I'm expecting at least two decks running that combo tomorrow :v
Posted 19 May 2011 at 23:10

Lol, u guys sure that this will stop it right? Coz i will be in GP singapore this june. See u guys there!! PM me if u guys are heading to GP sg
Posted 20 May 2011 at 04:41