Discussion Forum

Purge System

Perhaps there could be some type of purge system to eliminate older decks from older users (deck age, of course, having no impact if the deck's user is still active).

For example, one of the 'most popular' decks at the moment is from 2007 from a user that hasn't logged in on since 2008. The age of the deck doesn't bother me, but why recognize it when the player/user hasn't/won't reap any of the rewards from the community.

Does the site have a way, or time limit, as to when accounts get removed so that they don't create clutter? All of these great comments might/could have gone to an active player to further their knowledge/design.

Just a thought.
Posted 20 May 2011 at 15:39

Hiya

Thanks for the suggestion. From a website perspective, it's all good for SEO. Agree that possibly older decks shouldn't get sent into the Top Decks.

The way the upcoming page works, is that if a deck has had activity (comment, like or w/e) in x amount of time, it can pop up into there. So what's happened is users have used the "Random Decks" page and found an old deck and left a comment, despite seeing that the last one was xxxx days ago. You'd have the same problem on this very forum if you replied to a really really old post :p

We don't remove clutter, as there's no telling where a deck could be linked from and we want to maintain those links, as it's all good for getting ranking on Google etc

Cheers
Posted 23 May 2011 at 14:36

In my opinion, there is no need to purge older decks, decks from inactive users, or even disallow older decks from reaching the front page. Even if a deck takes a while to generate enough activity to make it to the front page, there is still (possibly) a wealth of knowledge contained in the comments, and to me that's what Top Decks are all about.. reading through the comments and learning from the advice & opinions of others.

What would be significant, and I think should be done, is adding some sort of symbology to a deck link (a color coded symbol or some such) that suggests how old the deck is -- new (< 1 month), recent (1 - 3 months), or old (>3 months), as well as the date of publication displayed next to the deck title on the deck page, as well as possible on the front page. The two suggestions working together would be redundant, but useful. The symbolism would provide immediate relevance at a glance, while the date of publication would provide detailed relevance with more consideration.

Anywho, just my two cents :)
Posted 23 May 2011 at 19:20

That sounds like a good idea. I would also like to do a "Last Updated" style indicator, but we currently don't store that against the decks. I will have a look at implementing the above in the near future :)

Ian
Posted 24 May 2011 at 08:00