Discussion Forum

Spellskite

after seeing it get heavy play this weekend something came up in our group and im not 100% sure we ruled correctly.

can Spellskite redirect an opponent's equip abilities to itself?

The Equip ability states: "Attach this permanent to target creature you control"

does the "you" always refer to the controller of the equipment? if so then I assume that would mean spellskite is not a legal target.
Posted 24 May 2011 at 14:34

you always refers to the controller of the equipment, so no, spellkite can't do that. It can do many other things.
Posted 24 May 2011 at 15:58

Spellskite does a lot of amazing things, but I've seen it misused so many times already. I kind of wish they added the wording "Change a target of target spell or ability to Spellskite. Only spells or abilities that could target Spellskite can be targeted this way."

It's implicit in the rules, but if it were printed on the card, people would stop trying to redirect my Demystifys.
Posted 24 May 2011 at 21:37

What the other 2 said is correct.

Spellskite cannot redirect anything to itself that could not have targeted it in the first place. Equipment says "creature you control" as your opponent's spellskite is not a creature you control, he can't take your equipment.
Posted 25 May 2011 at 05:42