Discussion Forum

Help with this situation

I have a Glistener Elf and I cast Assault Strobe on it in Main Phase 1

My opponent blocks with a 1/1 Memnite. In the Damage Phase I cast Mutagenic Growth and Unnatural Predation. Making my Elf

A 4/4 Doublestriking Trampler Infect.

So how does the damage work?

First Strike is calculated 1 to Memnite and 3 Poison counters to my opponent?
Then what? Do I swing a second time at the memnite? Or it dies and I don't get to do regular damage at all?
Posted 02 June 2011 at 18:06

well first of all, you can't cast spells during the Damage Resolution step, you'd have to cast them in response to your opponent declaring his blocker(at the latest).

assuming you did that, in the First Strike Damage Resolution step you would deal 1 dmg to the memnite, killing it, and then trample over for 3 to the player.

then because you have trample you still get to deal damage in the regular Damage Resolution step, which would be another 4 hitting the player.

so in the end the opposing player would have 7 poison counters.
Posted 02 June 2011 at 18:14

Awesome, so the best spot for me to cast would be at the very end of the blocking step?
Posted 02 June 2011 at 18:19

[QUOTE=insanity228]I have a Glistener Elf and I cast Assault Strobe on it in Main Phase 1

My opponent blocks with a 1/1 Memnite. In the Damage Phase I cast Mutagenic Growth and Unnatural Predation. Making my Elf

A 4/4 Doublestriking Trampler Infect.

So how does the damage work?

First Strike is calculated 1 to Memnite and 3 Poison counters to my opponent?
Then what? Do I swing a second time at the memnite? Or it dies and I don't get to do regular damage at all?[/QUOTE]

with double strike, you have to look at it as 8 poison then. and with trample, of the 8 you will assign 1 to memnite and then 7 poison to opponent.

i think thats how it would work.
Posted 02 June 2011 at 18:23