Discussion Forum

Wurm themed deck

Hey fellow Vault dwellers - i reckon having a Wurm themed deck would be cool to do, lots of big scary things with trample, but off the top of my head i can't figure out how to make it work. Summoning them straight is out of the question, i'd be dead before even one got out, but i'm not sure how to go about quick-summoning.
Any suggestions would be appreciated =)
Posted 03 June 2011 at 07:38

Are there worms worth playing?

Personally I would go for little worms if I had to make a worm deck. Worm Harvest would be the kill, Life from the Loam and cycle lands like Tranquil Thicket the engine. You can add to the theme with typical Loam cards like Seismic Assault, Countryside Crusher and maybe Terravore.
You can fill the deck with spot removal to survive until your horde of little worms takes the field.

You could also go Green-Black and play Creakwood Liege and Worm Harvest for slightly bigger worms. Doomgape and Grave Pact come to mind as well. You can run Beast Within, Maelstrom Pulse and Putrefy to stay alive.
A fun lock card to play with Creakwood Liege is Contamination. Play it as a 1'off so that it's just another way to win some games. It's always nice to have multiple ways of attack.
You can ramp up your mana base with Sakura Tribe Elder and Wood Elves. Sakura has a nice synergy with Grave Pact
Posted 03 June 2011 at 09:28

Bellowing Tanglewurm is very decent in a green Stompy. Plus most of the wurms have trample anyway, a very handy ability. This is all theoretical, just an idea i was toying with.
Posted 03 June 2011 at 12:16

I've been toying with the same idea for a while, just can't figure out how to make it work:( i wanted to do a g/b and build it around wurmcoil, massacre and bellowing wurms. The idea i had was to use everflowing chalice, semblance anvil (which is a stupid card to begin with but, if you can somehow get a weak wurm to sac it, i think it would help) but like i said, i haven't been able to figure out how to work it. You would def. need control cards seeing as the 3 of them are decent drops. I wish someone would build it already though so i could get some ideas and stop raking my brain!:eek:
Posted 03 June 2011 at 21:14

oooh... You have to have a playset of Scaled Wurm in this one...
Posted 03 June 2011 at 21:43

Ok, that was a joke, cause I don't think there are enough wurms to make a competitive "wurm themed" deck. And by competitive, I don't mean just tournament worthy, but able to win at all...
Posted 03 June 2011 at 21:45

[QUOTE=pete_h]Ok, that was a joke, cause I don't think there are enough wurms to make a competitive "wurm themed" deck. And by competitive, I don't mean just tournament worthy, but able to win at all...[/QUOTE]

that is the biggest problem; making one that can last at all lol. if there was a legitimate way to get them out quickly then it would totally be worth it. im sure its possible but, nobodies done it....actually, if thats the case, then with all the pro players out there, maybe its not possible?

i think it will be chalked up to being a casual deck idea at best. shame
Posted 03 June 2011 at 21:55

The problem with Wurms is that they aren't designed to build a tribal deck around. They don't really work good together. What they are made for are throwing a couple in your deck as a finisher/beat stick. One of my favorites that I used to throw in all my green decks is Argothian Wurm. 4 for a 6/6 with almost no drawbacks? Yes please. Having a 3rd turn 6/6 was lots of fun.
Posted 03 June 2011 at 21:58

Oh, and that was 6/6 with Trample. Forgot about the trample part... lol.
Posted 03 June 2011 at 21:59

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=192856

I just put this together but the idea behind this deck is to use your tokens and kill spells and enchantments to hold off your enemy till you can ramp up enough mana to chain out your wurms. I think its ok but I see some holes in the deck. lol
if anyone has any idea's on how to make it better please say something.
Posted 04 June 2011 at 07:18

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=193923

there is mine. pretty straightforward. and im sure it could be better but, this atleast falls into the standard catagory. a weebit of control and hopefully enough mana ramp to get the job done. i don't know though, let me know what you think. i know its not a strong idea but, like i said, it would be pretty ballin to show up with a working wurm deck at an fnm:P (no, im not saying this is it lol)
Posted 06 June 2011 at 16:48