Discussion Forum

oblivion ring question

So a buddy of mine and I were playing last night and I used oblivion ring on one of his non land permanents, which takes it out of the game until he gets rid of my oblivion ring. So a few turns later he decides that he's going to use boomerang to return that target permanent that I took out of the game, to his hand. Of course this opened a debate on whether that move was legal or not. I was under the impression that once a card was taken out of the game by my oblivion ring, that it was just that... "out of the game" completely; at least until he got rid of my oblivion ring. So the question here is... can you play a card like boomerang to return a target permanent to your hand, even if it has been "taken out of the game"? I wouldn't have argued it if he had taken it from anywhere else, like graveyard or whatever... but it seems pretty black and white to me that the card he's trying to return to his hand doesnt exist in our game of magic because of my enchantment. Any insight ? Much appreciated
Posted 07 June 2011 at 17:18

[QUOTE=macski222]So a buddy of mine and I were playing last night and I used oblivion ring on one of his non land permanents, which takes it out of the game until he gets rid of my oblivion ring. So a few turns later he decides that he's going to use boomerang to return that target permanent that I took out of the game, to his hand. Of course this opened a debate on whether that move was legal or not. I was under the impression that once a card was taken out of the game by my oblivion ring, that it was just that... "out of the game" completely; at least until he got rid of my oblivion ring. So the question here is... can you play a card like boomerang to return a target permanent to your hand, even if it has been "taken out of the game"? I wouldn't have argued it if he had taken it from anywhere else, like graveyard or whatever... but it seems pretty black and white to me that the card he's trying to return to his hand doesnt exist in our game of magic because of my enchantment. Any insight ? Much appreciated[/QUOTE]

you are right, he can't use boomerang to return it to his hand as the ring has EXILED it from the game. you can't return something that isn't there anymore. and in the ring text it tells you, when the ring is sent to graveyard, return EXILED card to battlefield. So, no, your friend is wrong:) just tell him to read the cards
Posted 07 June 2011 at 17:25

Thats exactly what I told him lol, but when I said that my card explained that his card was clearly out of our game entirely, he countered with, "boomerang clearly says I can take any target permanent" I just /facepalmed and stuck to my guns. Thanks for the reply... this will be nice to show him :)
Posted 07 June 2011 at 17:30

simplest answer to give him: cards in exile are not permanents, permanents only exist on the battlefield...once they leave that zone, they revert to the state of "card".

if he understands why he can't target a card in a library with Boomerang, then he should be able to understand how the same restriction applies to cards in exile.
Posted 07 June 2011 at 18:48

[QUOTE=macski222] he countered with, "boomerang clearly says I can take any target permanent" [/QUOTE]

lol tell him to re-read the card, it def does not say any target permanent. if that were the case, that card would be retarded good. you could wait until someone played jtms and then boomerang that:P (don't get any ideas wizards)
Posted 07 June 2011 at 19:39

huh...that's totally what the card does say. Return target permanent to its owner's hand.

Jace is a valid target for Boomerang, just like any artifact, enchantment, creature or land that's on the battlefield.
Posted 07 June 2011 at 19:42

[QUOTE=Seras]huh...that's totally what the card does say. Return target permanent to its owner's hand.

Jace is a valid target for Boomerang, just like any artifact, enchantment, creature or land that's on the battlefield.[/QUOTE]

fair enough, but what i was really trying to point out in all of this, is that card physically does not say "Any" in it. but good to know. i believe you just gave me something new to use against my friend who does play jace lol
Posted 07 June 2011 at 19:47

I think i know where the confusion came from seras, but correct me if im wrong, you can use boomerang to bounce any permanent. but what i meant about it being retarded good was;

lets say you play a jace, or whatever really. and i casted boomerang on your permanent, your permanent comes to MY hand.

Thats what i meant by that. that you can't use it to take your opponents permanent. unless you can....can you ?:eek:
Posted 07 June 2011 at 19:57

of course not:

"Return target permanent to its owner's hand."

you can use it on your permanent to return it to your hand, or on an opponent's permanent to return it to his/her hand.
Posted 07 June 2011 at 20:07