Discussion Forum

A couple of questions.

1) If I have a Nantuko Husk and a Drudge Skeleton in play, can I keep sacrificing the skeleton to the husk and regenerating it so long as I have the mana to pay for it?

2a) If I declare an attacker and a player chooses to accept the damage, can I then proceed to play something like Giant Growth to make them take additional damage?

2b) If I declare an attacker and a player chooses to block my creature, can I then proceed to play something like Giant Growth to save my/kill their creature?

3a) If I have a Telekinetic Sliver in play, can I tap target player's lands in response to them attempting to cast a spell?

3b) If I have a Telekinetic Sliver in player, can I tap creatures in response to them being declared as attackers?
Posted 08 June 2011 at 02:10

1) no, because regeneration replaces destruction. Sacrificing something is not destroying it, it's sacrificing it, so the regeneration shield never applies.

2a) Okay, so the beginning of the declare blockers step is when blockers are declared. After that, priority passes between all players, so you have a chance to Giant Growth your guy after your opponent says 'no blocks' or whatever. He won't have a chance to change his decision after that.

2b) Yep, because priority is still passed between players. Same deal as 2a.

3a) Unfortunately, there's two reasons this won't work. First, tapping lands for mana doesn't use the stack, so by the time he's cast the spell they're already tapped. Second, Telekinetic Sliver's ability does use the stack, so he can float mana in response and it'll stick around 'til he changes phases (or steps, if we're in combat or something).

3b) No, you'd have to tap them at the beginning of combat before attackers are declared, otherwise they're already declared as attackers and tapping them (even if they have vigilance) won't do anything.

Hope that helps!
Posted 08 June 2011 at 02:40

If regeneration is replacing destruction, then would I be correct to say that a Drudge Skeleton/Horned Troll/whatever could not be regenerated after being sacrificed to something like Call to the Grave?
Posted 08 June 2011 at 03:06

I would like to point out that reassembling skeleton would work for this instead. Although it costs 1B to bring back from the graveyard over just B.
Posted 29 July 2011 at 20:56

If you would like to know more about what Loki is talking about, you can check the rules here:

http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/MagicCompRules_20110715.txt

Just open the "find" feature of your browser (usually Ctrl + F) and search for the following:

701.13. Sacrifice

305. Lands

and

506. Combat Phase

Each of the above will take yield two results -- first the table of contents listing, then the rules explanation. It's not a bad idea to read through these sections, because often when you have one question and check the rules, you'll learn something new that answers another question! If you want to learn more about the combat phase, the sections of the rules actually proceed from 506 to 511, so there's quite a bit of reading!

Hope this helps :)
Posted 30 July 2011 at 04:11