Discussion Forum

Faerie Counter Deck

Hello All,

I have been a player of Magic for quite a long time. I have always "flirted" with it, but never really got into the game so intensely. This deck is one that has just grown over the years. I know it isn't legal (with respect to tournaments) by any stretch, but I would like to know a couple fo things and possibly some advice.

My Faerie Counter Deck: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=196162

1) Legality (with respect to tournaments) aside, do you think this is a good deck? If so, why? If not, why?
2) How could I make this deck tournament ready? Not so much with respect to technique or strategy, but more like card equivalents.
3) Have you all played against a deck like this? Do you have a deck like this? Have you seen a deck like this? How common/rare is a deck of this configuration?

The idea of this deck is to prevent the opponent from casting spells or undoing spells (return to hand), while dealing direct damage and/or directly attacking their life points/creatures with a lot of small hits.

Thank you very much in advance! I hope to read all of your thoughts. :)
Posted 12 June 2011 at 09:58

Moved to the appropriate forum.

1.) I'd be hard-pressed to say if this was good or not because some people have different opinions. It isn't competitive for the tournaments it would be legal in (Legacy), but it seems like a fun casual deck.

2.)Uhhhhh, it would change the deck entirely. There used to be a U/B faeries build in legacy, but I haven't seen it in a while (it'd run Mental Misstep for sure though).

3.)Like I said, I've seen something similar, but not exactly the same configuration.
Posted 13 June 2011 at 16:51

If you want to play legacy tournaments you need a deck that can defend itself as of turn 0. Cards like Force of Will, Mental Misstep, Swords to Plowshares are critical to interact with the format.

Some typical plays:

Merfolk: Turn One Mutavault + Aether Vial turn two Standstill, gg

Goblins: Turn One Goblin Lackey or Aether Vial, both are problematic and must be dealt with immediatly or you loose real fast.

The Rock/Junk: Turn one Dark Ritual + Thoughtseize + either Dark Confidant or Hymn to Tourach. Turn two Tarmagoyf, Turn 3 Tombstalker.
Posted 15 June 2011 at 07:50

The strength of using faeries in control decks is that they have Flash.

you should strive to only have cards that are playable at instant speed, that way you're always playing during your opponent's turn...mana ready to counter whatever he casts or free to drop in a flash faery at the end of their turn.

Scion of Oona, Spellstutter Sprite, Vendilion Clique and Mistbind Clique are some really good flash faeries to consider.

beyond just the deck building, this is a type of deck that'll take practice to play well, timing is everything.
Posted 15 June 2011 at 14:00