Discussion Forum

Omen Machine + Jin-Gitiaxias + Venser

Omen Machine and Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur in play. If Venser, the Sojourner +2 to cause Omen Machine to exile, since they both trigger at the beginning if your end step, would you still draw the cards? I'm thinking since they both trigger at the same time, Omen Machine isn't in play, thus it's effects are not in play at the time of trigger so it would resolve.
Posted 13 June 2011 at 23:26

You choose the order they go onto the stack. So if you you choose Venser first then Jin-Gitaxias, you will draw the 7 cards. Interesting combo you got there.
Posted 14 June 2011 at 01:52

This is the deck for the combo: http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=196410

And here's the explanation: http://forums.mtgvault.com/showpost.php?p=25251&postcount=17

I'm seriously considering giving this a run at FNM.
Posted 14 June 2011 at 02:42

I have got a question

AIn't a planewalker ability only be able to be used on the main phase!!!
Posted 14 June 2011 at 07:12

[QUOTE=Portugaru]I have got a question

AIn't a planewalker ability only be able to be used on the main phase!!![/QUOTE]

Main Phases*
Posted 14 June 2011 at 15:17

[QUOTE=Portugaru]I have got a question

AIn't a planewalker ability only be able to be used on the main phase!!![/QUOTE]

Their abilities can only be activated when you can cast a sorcery. So yes only during either of your main phases, and NOT in responce to a spell or ability. That rule doesn't change this combo at all. It still works.
Posted 14 June 2011 at 16:23

sorry i thought gitaxias did his stuff on the upkeep
Posted 14 June 2011 at 17:06

I fail to see what the combo is here. Omen Machine triggers during the draw step. Exiling it during your main phase wouldn't accomplish anything. The only thing you're doing is preventing Jin-Gitaxias from giving you seven cards and allowing your opponents to cast a free spell off the top of their deck, making moot their zero-card hand size.

EDIT: My mistake, Jin-Gitaxias draws cards during your end step. You're still giving your opponents free spells, though. Not as if you weren't already, by giving them a hand size of 0, likely they'd just cast that spell before their end-step anyways. I still fail to see the potency of the combo, unless you're just trying to milk a free spell from the top of your library. It's a rather heavy combo, when Jin-Gitaxias by himself would be enough.
Posted 16 June 2011 at 15:49

When I actually build this deck for play, I'm going to get rid of the red, along with Jin-Gitaxias, Core Augur and Venser, the Sojourner. It was just there for the whole Wild Evocation thing. It is a very mana heavy combo, and it has a few requirements, such as having Liliana Vess to tutor to the top of your library. The major benefit is being able to pull out a card like Emrakul, the Aeons Torn or any other bigger Eldrazi AND get the bonus you get for casting them (something you miss out on if you Mass Polymorph). I still need to run See Beyonds to keep things in my library, or some other form of hand control, as well as Treasure Mages to help dig what I need. It's possible with good luck and mana ramping to be dropping it on turn 4, which isn't really too bad. It's never something that will win a lot of tournaments, but it is one of those things that is crazy enough to win a few local rounds.

Edit: Here is my more practical approach of that deck. It gets rid of the combo that is the topic of discussion though. http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=197895
Posted 16 June 2011 at 20:16

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]I fail to see what the combo is here. Omen Machine triggers during the draw step. Exiling it during your main phase wouldn't accomplish anything. The only thing you're doing is preventing Jin-Gitaxias from giving you seven cards and allowing your opponents to cast a free spell off the top of their deck, making moot their zero-card hand size.

EDIT: My mistake, Jin-Gitaxias draws cards during your end step. You're still giving your opponents free spells, though. Not as if you weren't already, by giving them a hand size of 0, likely they'd just cast that spell before their end-step anyways. I still fail to see the potency of the combo, unless you're just trying to milk a free spell from the top of your library. It's a rather heavy combo, when Jin-Gitaxias by himself would be enough.[/QUOTE]

It stops you from potentially drawing yourself out. 7 cards a turn means you just put about a 5-6 turn clock on before you deck yourself, with omen machine, you can have yourself draw a new hand only when you need it.
Posted 16 June 2011 at 21:20