Discussion Forum

Sacrifice + Triggered, Activated and Devour

I have a question about sacrificing creatures. Specifically, the differences between activated abilities, triggered abilities, and devour (which from what I have read seems to be in a category of it's own).

I know that sacrificing one creature does not satisfy multiple ACTIVATED costs, and sacrificing a creature does not satisfy multiple DEVOUR abilities. It does satisfy multiple TRIGGERED abilities.

My main questions are these:

Can sacrificing one creature satisfy an activated cost, and satisfy the triggered ability at the same time?
This seems like a yes to me.

Can sacrificing one creature satisfy an activated cost and a devour ability at the same time?
This seems like a yes to me.

Can sacrificing one creature satisfy a triggered ability and a devour ability at the same time?
Again, seems like a yes to me.

I just need/want to know for sure on these situations.

In the event of a devour ability and a spell cost/activated ability -say I have a goblin on the field, and a Voracious Dragon and Goblin Grenade in hand. I play Voracious Dragon - then play Goblin Grenade, using my goblin already on the field.

The Devour on the Dragon simply states I can sac as many creatures as I want as it comes into play, it doesn't specifically say it is a cost. So then, would the goblin that was sacced still count toward his devour tokens? (and do his grenade damage at the same time)

Specifically I'd like to know about the Dragon/Grenade scenario, but I also would really like to know about the other situations presented.

If you managed to read this far, THANK YOU!
Posted 17 June 2011 at 05:52

Devour is a triggered ability for which the sacrifice(s) is indeed a cost.

so no, you can't use one sacrifice to pay for both the dragon's devour ability and the grenade.

the distinction between "does this sacrifice count for multiple things" is one of cost vs effect, not activated ability vs triggered ability.

cards with text like "when a creature is sacrificed.." only trigger off a sacrifice happening, each of these will trigger for each sacrifice.

usually if the word sacrifice is used as a verb it's a good indicator that it's a cost, when a cost includes a sacrifice, it needs one for each time the ability is activated(or triggered)
Posted 17 June 2011 at 13:41