Discussion Forum

Tapping creatures and bouncing equipment

Friend and i were playing a casual game last night.

he had a Ring of Gix in play.

I had 2 unblockable creatures in play, and a Sword of Feast and Famine

He wanted to use the ring to keep the creature with the sword from attacking. However, I would just move the sword to the other creature during my main phase (I understand equipping happens at "sorcery" speed). He attempted at one point to wait until I declared attackers to tap the creature with the sword, but I insisted that this creature was already tapped as a cost to declaring it as an attacker. (is this correct?)

I imagine there is a way to get his desired result, we just couldn't pin down a way to do it. This morning I was reading wiki posts trying to figure it out, and it seemed like he could do this by using the ability after I yield priority at the end of the main phase.

From this article on MTG Salvation Forums.
"When both players yield priority in succession while the stack is empty during the post-combat main phase, the game proceeds to the end phase."

Obviously, my first question is "Am i correct in assuming he could use the ring like this to prevent me from attacking with any creature wielding the sword?"

I also have a second question, because I am reasonably sure that that is how he could do it. What is the common way to actually do this in person? When you sit with your friends, do you announce every transition of phases? That seems a little tedious. But at the same time I don't want to constantly remind my opponent that he can be preventing me from doing things, even in a casual environment.

I REALLY want to avoid situations like:
"OK i am attacking with these two..."
"Wait! before your combat phase, I am tapping that one".

So, what are your thoughts?
Posted 20 June 2011 at 14:23

actually your friend was right. like with tumble magnet for instance; you declare your attackers, and in response, i tap a creature of my choice with the tumble magnet so that creature can no longer attack.

as far as the last part of your post, technically you are supposed to go from phase to phase announcing them as you play so the other player has a chance to respond. Where we play, we usually won't declare attackers UNLESS you see something on the field like a tumble magnet or whatever that can tap your attacking creatures. thats usually when i declare attackers.

a good practice would be to declare attackers each time though as to save yourself some headaches.
Posted 20 June 2011 at 16:52

"506.4b Tapping or untapping a creature thats already been declared as an attacker or blocker doesnt remove it from combat and doesnt prevent its combat damage."

So the tapping after an attacker is declared, no matter the situation, does not have any direct effect.

Though i do think however, we will need to adopt a house rule of declaring the first main and combat phase transition. Situations like this have come up quite a bit at an increasing frequency as we get better at this with stronger decks and play styles.

I have no issues with situations like:
"ok I'm done, your turn"
"at the end of your turn I'm casting X"

but the situation i listed in my first post, of saying "before your combat phase" feels more like a response to my actions.
Posted 20 June 2011 at 17:37

the problem is "Can a creature be tapped before it is declared an attacker but really after you declare it an attacker?" "In Response to" is the key. The game allows a little room for players to do things to other players out of sequence. Think of the stack. You play an instant spell I don't like, so I cast a instant spell that doesn't counter it but kills you, does your spell still go off?? It all depends if i say "In Response" or not. Unless I am missing something and someone can correct me.
Posted 21 June 2011 at 01:05

honestly, i don't know now. i know whenever i do play and i have a tumble magnet out, my opponent always declares attackers. He doesn't tap them, he just declares them, and then i tap the creature with my magnet that i believe he will swing with to prevent the attack.
Posted 21 June 2011 at 13:18

you can never tap an attacking creature in response to it being declared as an attacker. (well, you could if they had vigilance, but the point is that is doesn't affect whether they are an attacker or not)

the issue here is that most ppl skip over some of the minor steps. The Combat Phase's first step is the Beginning of Combat Step, this happens before the Declare Attackers Step.

this is the point in the turn where the first main phase is over(meaning no more sorcery speed effects till after combat) and this is where you can tap creatures before they are declared as attackers.

when someone has a tumble magnet type card on the table, it's good practice for the active player to declare "i'm starting my combat phase and passing priority, does anyone want to do anything before I declare my attackers?"
Posted 21 June 2011 at 14:07

Seras: So your saying that once i say my "Child of Night" is attacking, it doesn't matter if my opponent plays "Dispatch" (without metalcraft) at instant speed to tap it. My "Child of Night" is still attacking? My opponent must tap my creatures before i say which ones i will be attacking with. Interesting.
Posted 21 June 2011 at 18:17

that's correct, though you do have to give your opponent a chance to cast/activate things before you declare your attackers.

this isn't a race as to who can tap their card first. ;)
Posted 21 June 2011 at 18:20

exactly ........ after i declare it is my attack phase, i pause - wait a second, then i declare my attackers. (that's my habit of playing) Once i choose and say what creatures i'm attacking with, my opponent can't tap it after i say which ones are attacking. they have to tap them at the begining, when i pause. nice. that helps a lot against the headaches my group has been facing lately. Thank you for the clear up
Posted 21 June 2011 at 23:40