Discussion Forum

Quick question about steely resolve

Lets say I have a bunch of elves on the battlefield, and my opponent has a prized unicorn on the battlefield... Its ability forces all of my creatures that are able to block to do so. So instead of losing elves every turn to its ability or tapping all of them so they arent able to block, would putting a Steely Resolve into play, and naming Elves as the creatures that can't be the target of spells or abilities work? my reasoning is, the prized unicorn is targeting me with its attack, but its ability is targeting "all creatures able to block prized unicorn". So by playing steely resolve and naming elfs as the creature type, would my elves on the battlefield be exempt from blocking ?

Thanks
Posted 21 June 2011 at 18:37

Nope, Prized unicorn doesn't target so you still have to block it. There's almost no way to prevent or stop Prized Unicorn's ability.
Posted 21 June 2011 at 21:57

Magic is very literal. If the word "target" is never used, then the card never targets anything. Even a card like Clone -- which sure seems like it should target creatures -- can get around shroud and hexproof.
Posted 21 June 2011 at 23:24

So with above explanation, I couldnt use, say a giant growth on my elf cards because it targets them, but my elvish champions ability would still give my elves buffs because it doesnt target them ?
Posted 22 June 2011 at 16:02

or for another example, I couldnt use timberwatch elfs ability because it targets an elf, but my imperious perfects ability would still work on my elves?
Posted 22 June 2011 at 16:07

Both your examples are correct.

It seems elf decks with Timberwatch Elf would really like them to print a new version of Steely Resolve that grants hexproof. I'm sure Wizards is working on this.
Posted 22 June 2011 at 20:04

I always found it fun to use a Mighty Leap on a Prized Unicorn :D It's pretty funny when it happens and if your deck doesn't have creatures with flying/reach you can avoid the big attack hitting you that your opponent probably has coming with the Unicorn
Posted 23 June 2011 at 01:48