Discussion Forum

Aluren in Commander?

So, my friend bought all the new commander decks, so I thought I would build one, since I know he's gonna want to be playing that now. So, I'm using Azusa, Lost but Seeking as my commander. Well it's kind of a combo deck and it uses Aluren. Can I put Azusa into play for free using Aluren? Also if Azusa dies and I have to pay an additional :mana2: to play her do I just pay the :mana2:, without the :mana2::manag: CC?

Also, if a commander dies does it trigger "goes into the graveyard" abilities? Like if I have Fecundity and my commander dies, do I get to draw a card? I'm thinking that it does, like a token creature would, but not sure.

Thanks for the help.
Posted 23 June 2011 at 03:36

- Commanders are exiled instead of going to the yard, so no effects trigger

for the Aluren thing you'll best ask a judge but I doubt there is an official ruling
Posted 23 June 2011 at 11:59

Hmm, to my understanding general deaths tack on a 2 colorless additional cost...so I would be under the impression that its CMC stays the same but it's an additional cost to cast.
Posted 28 June 2011 at 01:23

10/4/2004: The mana cost of the creatures being cast is still the stated cost on the card, even though you did not pay the cost.

10/4/2004: Aluren checks the actual printed cost on the creature card, and is not affected by things which allow you to cast the spell for less.

10/4/2004: You can't choose to cast a creature as thought it had flash via Aluren and still pay the mana cost. You either cast the creature normally, or via Aluren without paying the mana cost.

Maybe the rulings for the card itself can answer this question for you...
Posted 28 June 2011 at 14:36

[QUOTE=Safearus]10/4/2004: The mana cost of the creatures being cast is still the stated cost on the card, even though you did not pay the cost.

10/4/2004: Aluren checks the actual printed cost on the creature card, and is not affected by things which allow you to cast the spell for less.

10/4/2004: You can't choose to cast a creature as thought it had flash via Aluren and still pay the mana cost. You either cast the creature normally, or via Aluren without paying the mana cost.

Maybe the rulings for the card itself can answer this question for you...[/QUOTE]

I understand how aluren works. I was just wondering how the additional cost from the commander dieing affects this. I'll see if I can find a judge to ask, but until then I will just assume that with Aluren out the only thing I have to pay is the additional cost when casting the commander.
Posted 01 July 2011 at 21:06

Asked a judge and a very experienced player I know of about this today and apparently the two additional mana each time a general dies directly modifies its mana cost, meaning your 3 drop general turns into a 5 drop general rather than a 3 drop that has "as an additional cost, pay 2" like I thought it had.
Posted 02 July 2011 at 04:12