Discussion Forum

Blocking Question

What happens if Engulfing Slagwurm is blocked by Dream Fighter or Dream Fighter is blocked by Engulfing Slagwurm
Posted 26 June 2011 at 02:50

1/1/2011: Engulfing Slagwurm's ability triggers and resolves during the declare blockers step. Creatures destroyed this way will not deal combat damage.
1/1/2011: If your Engulfing Slagwurm blocks or becomes blocked by multiple creatures, its ability triggers that many times. Each trigger will be associated with a specific creature. You choose which order to have the abilities resolve.
1/1/2011: If Engulfing Slagwurm's ability resolves and the other creature is not destroyed (perhaps because it has already left the battlefield or it regenerates), you'll still gain life equal to that creature's toughness.
1/1/2011: As each ability resolves, the amount of life you gain is equal to the appropriate creature's current toughness (if it's somehow still on the battlefield), or its toughness as it last existed on the battlefield (in all other cases).
1/1/2011: Even if the ability of an attacking Engulfing Slagwurm destroys each creature blocking it, Engulfing Slagwurm won't deal combat damage to the player or planeswalker it's attacking unless it somehow gains trample.
Posted 27 June 2011 at 12:17

After posting that i got thinking again and i dont know, dream fighter has an odd abilitie
Posted 27 June 2011 at 12:20

when you have simultaneous triggers or replacement effects I believe the active player decides in which order they happen.
Posted 27 June 2011 at 13:38

Seras is correct, follows the "APNAP" rule (Active Player, Non-Active Player). Found this while trying to figure out my own necropede + throne of geth question.

103.4. If multiple players would make choices and/or take actions at the same time, the active player
(the player whose turn it is) makes any choices required, then the next player in turn order (usually
the player seated to the active player’s left) makes any choices required followed by the remaining
nonactive players in turn order. Then the actions happen simultaneously. This rule is often referred
to as the “Active Player, Nonactive Player (APNAP) order” rule.
Example: A card reads “Each player sacrifices a creature.” First, the active player chooses
a creature he or she controls. Then each of the nonactive players chooses a creature he or
she controls. Then all creatures are sacrificed simultaneously.
Posted 29 June 2011 at 23:33

So who ever is attacking decides the order.
Will Engulfing Slagwurm still phase out after Dream Fighter is destroyed?
Posted 04 July 2011 at 02:10

[QUOTE=Try4se]So who ever is attacking decides the order.
Will Engulfing Slagwurm still phase out after Dream Fighter is destroyed?[/QUOTE]

Yes it will still phase out. Dream Fighter's effect will continue to resolve independent of the source of the effect.
Posted 04 July 2011 at 02:34

Thanks for the replies.
Posted 04 July 2011 at 03:52

I believe that is misappropriate use of APNAP. Unless you can choose whether to trigger an ability (in the case of Engulfing Slagwurm, you do not), then the ability will trigger in order of priority.

If Engulfing Slagwurm is attacking, and is blocked by Dream Fighter, then the attacking player receives priority first, Slagwurms ability triggers, followed by Dream Fighter. Dream Fighter's ability would resolve first and both would phase out.

If Dream Fighter is attacking, and is blocked by Engulfing Slagwurm, then the opposite would be true (attacking player still receiving priority first), and Dream Fighter would be destroyed.
Posted 04 July 2011 at 14:37

hum..isn't that still apnap?
Posted 04 July 2011 at 14:39

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj] Unless you can choose whether to trigger an ability (in the case of Engulfing Slagwurm, you do not), then the ability will trigger in order of priority.[/QUOTE]

based on what rule?
Posted 04 July 2011 at 14:43

[QUOTE=Seras]based on what rule?[/QUOTE]

Priority?

Note, I did precede that entire statement with "I believe" and not with "I know."

I am under this impression because this is the same process used to determine who gains control of a sacrificed permanent when two or more players control an It That Betrays.

It's in the rules somewhere, I'm sure, as that's where I found my answer to the It That Betrays quandary.. but I can't be bothered to look it up right now, my girlfriend is already cursing at me for being on "that damn Magic site" again :P
Posted 05 July 2011 at 02:20

priority takes part of the APNAP rule as was quoted and explained above.
Posted 05 July 2011 at 13:04

Aye, I know that. I was disagreeing that the attacking (active) player gets to choose the order at which abilities he/she do not control are triggered. APNAP describes the order, not the method. The triggered abilities will trigger simultaneously but be added to the stack beginning with the active player's triggered abilities, the order of which can be chosen if that player controls multiple triggered abilities, then priority is passed to the player to the left and the process continues until there are no more triggered abilities to be added to the stack. Then, first on last off, the last player who's ability was added to the stack would resolve first, and the active player's would resolve last. Hence my original post.

The game decides the order in which things happen, not the active player.
Posted 05 July 2011 at 14:54

Savaj is right. Both abilities trigger at the same time and try to go on the stack. Since they're controlled by different players, they go on the stack in APNAP order. So, whichever creature is blocking at the time would have their ability resolve first no matter what, unless it got countered or something.
Posted 18 July 2011 at 03:33