Discussion Forum

does this work?

alright this'll decide if the deck im making works or not if i have Norn's Annex out and i +2 gideon are they forced to pay in order to attack? because even if they aren't white what can't be payed for in mana alone blood is a nice replacement xD
Posted 29 June 2011 at 23:47

Nope, nothing's making them pay the cost.

"All creatures attack Gideon Jura if able."

"Creatures cannot attack unless they pay PW."

Therefore, you must pay PW to attack (mind you all at Gideon) BUT if they don't pay it, they're not able to attack.
Posted 30 June 2011 at 00:15

^I don't see how i could have put that better.

Although, the Phryxian mana brings up an interesting question. Would the player be forced to pay the 2 life to attack because of Gideon, or could they just not pay it and not be able to attack. Ask a judge on that one.

However, i see Gideon's ability as basically, if a creature attacks, it has to attack Gideon if able.
Posted 02 July 2011 at 18:07

I asked this question to my local judge for FNMs and other things (granted said local area lost our level rank and went down to level 2 v.v).

Nothing is forcing you to pay the mana/life. It's like if I +2 gideon and all you have is a wall but you have an Animate wall in your hand. Gideon doesn't MAKE you use outside sources to allow for you to attack, it just goes state based in a way.

1) "Does my opponent have creatures?"

2) "Can those creatures legally attack?" (IE are they summon sick, do they have defender/pacified, etc.)

3) "If the creatures my opponent control CAN attack, they must be directed at Gideon."
Posted 02 July 2011 at 18:18