Discussion Forum

0 damage

I attack an opponent who has Dissipation Field on the field with an unmodified Ornithopter. No spells are cast, nothing blocks.

Does Dissipation Field's effect activate if 0 damage is dealt, or does damage have to be 1 or greater?

Is damage even considered dealt if it is equal to 0?
Posted 30 June 2011 at 21:33

Zero damage is still damage, and will trigger any "when damage is dealt" clauses. A lot of people don't know this actually, and will mistake someone swinging with a 0/1 plant, for example, as a joke.
Posted 30 June 2011 at 21:41

I guess I am a lot of people. I had assumed that damage reduced (or inherently equal) to 0 is not damage.

So to perpetuate the hypotheticals, I attack with a big scary Storm Crow equipped with a Sword of One or the Other. My opponent responds by casting Constricting Tendrils reducing my Storm Crow's power to 0, but otherwise chooses not to assign a blocker.. My Storm Crow still inflicts 0 points of combat damage and therefore Sword of One or the Other's abilities will trigger..?

Can I get a reference number in the rules, if you know where to look off the top of your head? If this is true, I'm going to need a reference readily available to quell the inevitable arguments that will arise.
Posted 01 July 2011 at 03:44

"119.8. If a source would deal 0 damage, it does not deal damage at all. That means abilities that trigger on damage being dealt won't trigger. It also means that replacement effects that would increase the damage dealt by that source, or would have that source deal that damage to a different object or player, have no event to replace, so they have no effect."

I just looked it up and I was wrong. I was thinking of Swamp Mosquito...which now that I look at it, specifies how the 0 damage thing works. Move along...:D
Posted 01 July 2011 at 04:35

[QUOTE=surewhynot]"119.8. If a source would deal 0 damage, it does not deal damage at all. That means abilities that trigger on damage being dealt won't trigger. It also means that replacement effects that would increase the damage dealt by that source, or would have that source deal that damage to a different object or player, have no event to replace, so they have no effect."

I just looked it up and I was wrong. I was thinking of Swamp Mosquito...which now that I look at it, specifies how the 0 damage thing works. Move along...:D[/QUOTE]

Now I actually need to add life gain to my deck :(

Thanks for looking it up
Posted 01 July 2011 at 22:39

Exactly, that's why i hate CoP's in "Commander".
Posted 02 July 2011 at 18:04