Discussion Forum

Auratouched mage question

If I use flickerform on an auratouched mage with a shielding plax attached to it, do I draw a card first from the plax or search for an enchantment with the mage and shuffle my library first?
Posted 06 July 2011 at 18:13

I believe you would search first due to the wording in Flickerform. It says [QUOTE]At end of turn, return that card to play under its owner's control. If you do, return those Auras to play under their owners' control enchanting that creature.[/QUOTE] This means that the creature's ability would trigger, allowing you to search. THEN shielding plax would come on at which point you would draw a card.
Posted 06 July 2011 at 19:01

Gotcha that makes sense. Thanks.
Posted 06 July 2011 at 19:04

Danokozmo is wrong.

the auratouched mage enters the battlefield first and its triggered ability goes on the stack first. then all echantments return and all their abilities are placed on the stack in a sequence of your choosing. in your case shielding plax returns and it's effect is placed on the stack.

the stack resolves in reversed order which means you draw first then search for an aura. you cannot resolve the stack before the aura's return.
Posted 06 July 2011 at 20:59

Well that makes sense too. I love this combo but it gets real confusing sometimes. And the plax is only there for the hexproof. I should take it out for a card that just gives it hezproof so it's less confusing :)
Posted 06 July 2011 at 21:17

either way, it works. I'm just saying my interpretation of the wording, and then seeing others opinions on it, i'm now judge here...
Posted 07 July 2011 at 04:02

[QUOTE=Danokozmo]either way, it works. I'm just saying my interpretation of the wording, and then seeing others opinions on it, i'm now judge here...[/QUOTE]

I just wanted to point out that you can't just have an ability like that of auratouched mage resolve when the game is still in the middle of resolving something else. The returning of the creature + aura's resolves in one go and all triggeres are placed on the stack before any of them can resolve.

Another good example of this is hypergenesis. While hypergenenis resolves people put stuff on the field and triggered abilities of these permanents that come into play go on the stack and won't resolve until after hypergenesis has resolved. It is important to understand this because for instance If put a mulldrifter on the field while hypergenesis resolves, I cannot draw cards from it's come in play ability until after hypergenesis has resolved. If I could I would be able to keep on dropping stuff for free.
I'm sure flickerform could be abused in a simular way if you don't stick to the rules of how stuff resolves.

hope this helps
Posted 07 July 2011 at 08:18

Actually....you can do it either way. See, it works like this:

EOT, Flickerform's delayed trigger goes on the stack and resolves, putting Auratouched Mage then Shielding Plax onto the battlefield. We got a couple of triggers trying to go onto the stack, but they can't yet since the ability hasn't finished resolving. Then, when the ability finishes and priority happens, the two abilities try to go on the stack at the same time. Since they're both controlled by you, you choose the order and they resolve in the reverse. It works the same way with Hyper and Warp World.
Posted 18 July 2011 at 03:29