Discussion Forum

Advice requested: EDH control

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=200029

So, I want to build a mono-white control/lockdown deck, EDH style. Only, after looking at other decks and looking through cards... DAYMN there are a lot of options. @.@ I've listed some of my ideas in the deck description and I might even end up making more than one deck out of them, but I'm trying to just get ONE working deck for now.

Not only that, but I could also take it another way and go W/U for more standard control with counters and bounce and more tapping, OR go B/W for more painful lockdown, maybe with Ghost Council of Orzhov as the General.

Anythoughts? Musings? Advice? We're starting EDH events at my local store next weekend and I'd at least like to have a deck proxied up by then. XD
Posted 08 July 2011 at 13:36

looks ok for a white deck. Playing mono you have the advantage of being faster then multicoloured decks but know that the longer the game lasts the more your chances of winning decrease. You can't beat the cardadvange multicolored decks can create given time to build up their mana base.
Your best tactic is to race, try to kill them fast. This only works in 1 vs 1 games, in multiplayer games you're pretty much doomed.
Posted 11 July 2011 at 07:35

I've made a few revisions and I think this might have tightened up the control.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=200029

Stonehorn Dignitary might not be sticking around. I'm toying with the idea of throwing Flickerform in there to continually prevent my opponent from attacking, but I might just be better off taking the rhino out for something more useful.
Posted 15 July 2011 at 17:43

This deck is so full of hate. BTW, if you're gonna play Linvala then there's a mean combo you can think about.

Kormus Bell + Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth + Linvala (who happens to be your general).

Now, you can run the Urborg because it has no color identity (it doesn't have any black symbols on it, implied or not). Kormus Bell makes all those swamps in play 1/1s and Linvala shuts all of your opponent's creatures off of abilities. Locked Out.

If you'd like something slightly nicer, might I recommend Elspeth, Knight-Errant?
Posted 19 July 2011 at 15:39

Oh no, I want to be as vicious as possible. :) The group I play with tends to appreciate mean decks more than nice ones and, really, is there a nice way of saying "you've been shut down"?

I saw that combo in another thread and I do sort of like it. :D It would be pretty easy to insert into the deck, too, since I don't have a replacement for Torpor Orb, yet. At worst, Kormus Bell would allow board sweepers to destroy an opponents Swamps. Urborg by itself is just a land, it doesn't hurt or help except for the rare cases when an opponent is color-screwed for black.

In addition, in cases where they have more lands than me, Karma would be hilarious when combo'd with Urborg. Also... why am I not running Kismet? O.o

So many options... @.@
Posted 20 July 2011 at 12:26