Discussion Forum

On the subject of PlanesWalkers

I don't see Planes walkers very often (my play group tries to avoid them), so I wanted to clear a few things up:

1) I cast Slagstorm and choose each player. Is a PlanesWalker considered a player, and thus takes damage?

2) Can I use Rings of Brighthearth to copy a PlanesWalker's ability, or are they not considered activated abilities?

3) Are PlanesWalkers considered legendary?

4) Are they affected by summing sickness?

5) What are the targeting semantics when dealing with PlanesWalkers? What types are they under?
(enchant [creature, permanent, player, opponent, artifact, etc.])

Thanks in advance.
Posted 10 July 2011 at 06:11

Slagstorm I dont thinks so bu no clue Lightning bolt - Yes.
No summoning sickness.
No Rings of Brightherth.
Planeswalker own classification.
Yes are Legendary kinda you can have multiple Planeswalkers just not like Jace Beleren & Jace the Mind Sculpter. Cause both are the Planeswalker - Jace.
Hope helps.
Posted 10 July 2011 at 07:16

1) a planeswalker is not a player, however for each player damaged this way, you can choose to redirect the damage to any planeswalker they control.

[QUOTE]306.8. If noncombat damage would be dealt to a player by a source controlled by an opponent, that opponent may have that source deal that damage to a planeswalker the first player controls instead. This is a redirection effect (see rule 613.9) and is subject to the normal rules for ordering replacement effects (see rule 615). The opponent chooses whether to redirect the damage as the redirection effect is applied. [/QUOTE]

2) planeswalker abilities are indeed activated abilities and Rings of Brighthearth is able to copy them.

3) they are not considered legendary however they have their own version of the same rule where you can only have one instance of a planeswalker type in play. so if you have jace the mind sculptor in play and an opponent plays jace beleren, both planeswalker would go to the graveyard. It's important to note that despite the rule being very similar to the legendary rule they are not the same and any effects that would affect the legendary rule have no impact on the planeswalker rules.(ex: Mirror Gallery)

4)No, you can use a planeswalker abilities on the same turn that it enters play

5) planeswalkers can be targeted as two types: 'permanent' and 'planeswalker'
Posted 10 July 2011 at 14:36

Thanks for clearing that up.

Though I'm still unsure what version of the rings is correct at this point...
[QUOTE=Seras]2) planeswalker abilities are indeed activated abilities and Rings of Brighthearthis able to copy them.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE=MomirBiggsSimicFat]No Rings of Brightherth.[/QUOTE]

I think I'll go with Seras' version until proven otherwise, if only because I love that card, and this makes it even better ;)
Posted 11 July 2011 at 04:50

Seras is correct without a doubt if that makes you feel more confident. His reply should actually be made sticky as it's a very nice summary on Planeswalker rules.
Posted 11 July 2011 at 07:50

His post is 100% correct.
Posted 11 July 2011 at 11:29

I'm sorry Seras, but you know me, I'm a rules nazi.

Seras is 99% Correct. Planeswalkers do get summoning sickness...but that doesn't matter unless they turn into a creature while they have summoning sickness. So, you can't attack with Gideon the turn you play him.

Everything else is spot on though.
Posted 18 July 2011 at 03:22

that's a creature-specific rule though, not a planeswalker one.

i didn't cover what happens if you were to turn the planeswalker into a land either :P
Posted 18 July 2011 at 12:02

[QUOTE=Seras]that's a creature-specific rule though, not a planeswalker one.

i didn't cover what happens if you were to turn the planeswalker into a land either :P[/QUOTE]

lmao

On the topic of Loki being a Rule Nazi, the summoning sickness rule isn't even a rule, it's an informal name reffering to rule 302.6 that deals with activated abilities on creatures and attacking. It has nothing to do with planeswalkers. If you ask me Seras is still 100% correct :)
Posted 18 July 2011 at 13:28

Bah. Bah I say! Fie on thee and all that rubbish.
Posted 19 July 2011 at 15:24

fiddle dee dee, that will require a tetanus shot.

:D
Posted 19 July 2011 at 15:26

You can tell when the question's answered when either the thread dies or it degenerates into rampant (growth) silliness.
Posted 19 July 2011 at 15:31

I had no clue Rings would work on Planeswalker abilities very sorry didnt believe was activated ability.
Posted 01 August 2011 at 12:52