Discussion Forum

Legacy Infect

My friends keep pestering me to play more legacy so I figured it'd be cheap to make other than the duals.
I have a bayou and 2 overgrown tombs already, but that's 3 duals away yet.

Here's the deck
Posted 14 July 2011 at 06:37

If you want to play cheap legacy try affinity, I playtested a few tier 1 legacy lists against my friends Tezzeret Affinity list with Stoneforged Mystic and I lost more then I won. It's pretty damn crazy and relatively cheap (Tezz Agent of Bolas being the most expensive card).

Anyway about your list. If you play legacy, real competitive legacy, you should play at least 1 basic land of each of your colors to battle wasteland. If you play black it's better to use your first 2 turns to disrupt your opponent with thoughtseize/duress and Hymn to Tourach instead of just going all in. If you can't win by the end of turn 2 you should build a list that can interact with decks that can win that early and there are several decks in legacy right now that can goldfish on turn 2 (Lion eye diamond strategies, dredge, Cephalid breakfast, show and tell strategies).

Phyrexian Crusader is pretty good if you play rancor and possibly equipment.

With your deck as it is now I see you overextend on turn 1 (with all the acceleration), loose your creature to removal before it goes in for letal and then you run out of cards and get owned by your opponent while you topdeck.
Legacy is not about being fast, it's about interacting with the format and trying to get the advantage. If your deck can do that, and most decks can, games often take quite a few turns. Legacy tournament games easily go on for 10 turns and often much longer.
Posted 14 July 2011 at 08:04

Yeah I can definitely see it over extending pretty easy. The reason I don't play any basics is just because with all the duals it makes it so invig and rouse can be played for free more frequently.

I don't mind affinity, but my meta is run rampant with a lot of different affinity builds and it's really just not that fun.
I mostly chose infect because it is cheap, current, and more importantly different.
I haven't been playing legacy for long, but I just get sick of a lot of the builds. It seems like the same ones always get built in waves in the couple of stores around here too. For awhile a bunch of people were playing affinity, then they started playing dredge and reanimator. Now there's just some random zoo and aggro builds.
I'm kinda behind the times on having like playsets of all the dual lands and big legacy cards that have recently shot way up so I don't really know what else to do on an affordable yet decent deck that I enjoy playing, but I guess that's partially on me too being picky and all.
Posted 14 July 2011 at 08:14

it's an expensive format, no way around that. You should practise with proxy decks though. The only way to really know the format is to play the top decks and feel their strengths as well as weaknesses.
If you have a deck that you like but you don't have all the cards maybe you can borrow cards just for a tournament?
I have most cards myself but show and tell for instance I borrow from a friend when I want to play them (which is not often because I don't really like the card) and Jace the mindsculptor I only have 2 and again I just borrow the other 2 if I need them.
Posted 14 July 2011 at 08:52