Discussion Forum

Opinions on my Searing Life deck

Hi users of the MTG vault community,

I have been lurking around for a small while and decided to sign up to ask for your advice. Its been years and years since I played last. However a friend got me playing again for some casual gaming. I look up some of my old life gain cards and decided to base a deck on it. Here is what I got so far:

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=210476

My main problem is that there are so many cards I can see a combo in that the deck becomes bloated. I have listed the main combos in the description.
Your opinions are very appreciated, what do you think I should add? What should I remove? Anything for the sideboard to counter specific deck types? (control, aggro whatnot?).

I have tested it for a couple of games and like the feel of it. Also did one multiplayer game and it was fun until people realized I started getting a lot of life and everyone started pounding at me xD

Best regards

Xami
Posted 18 July 2011 at 21:27

I would highly recommend cutting at least 8 non-land cards. 60 gives you a better chance of drawing the good stuff you've filled your deck with and having it be something you wanted, though 68 does give the cool 'hey, i only have one of these' factor. Optimally, play 60 cards. Fun-wise, do whatever. As for your lands, One glance tells me you aren't playing enough. 24's the minimum as far as a curve like that, and with the amount of 6 and 7s you've got it should realistically be 25-26. Again, that's factoring in that it's a 60 card deck, if there's more cards in the decks then more lands should be added to account for that.
Posted 19 July 2011 at 15:30

@NightLoki

Thanks a lot for the constructive criticism (And yes, as I stated Its been years since I actually played often xD) .
The cards I only use one of is meant to be fetched with a tutor. As this deck rely heavily on its enchantments to do some of the harder combo's I decided one of each and adding two enchantments for good protection. The creatures are meant to be played by using either the Elvish Piper or quicksilver.

However, as mentioned I agree I would like to slim it down. I am just unsure how to cut it.

Also I would love to try to add a bit more black utility in form of the sanguine bond and Rite of Consumption. I guess I could remove:
1x Felidar Sovereign
3x Ageless Entity
3x Armadillo Cloak
1x Beacon of Immortality
2x Quicksilver Amulet

That would bring the deck down to 58. Then add some better black/green and black/white mana.

How do you recon the Lotus Bloom fit into the deck? They give an awesome 3'rd turn if they are in the start hand, but getting them in later turns they loose some power.
Posted 19 July 2011 at 18:00

I wouldn't play Lotus Bloom unless A: you were playing a dedicated Combo deck that could wait and needed all that mana or B: you could cheat it into play instantly for free. And still have use for the mana. Overall if you want mana ramp I think you could do better with other artifact mana. Sol Ring if your playgroup'll allow it, Worn Powerstone or Thran Dynamo if they won't. I wouldn't play more than one Sol Ring though, unless your playgroup really doesn't care. Even then, I still wouldn't.
Posted 19 July 2011 at 18:04

@NightLoki

Ok, thanks a lot.
I have made some updates to the deck now.
However my worries now is that the deck may be to thin on creatures.
I focused down the deck on using sanguine bond and rite of consumption as primary damage. Using searing avatars for sacrifice for Rite of Consumption and life gain with the wall to gain health.

Any ideas how to improve this?
Posted 19 July 2011 at 18:42

Replied on the deck itself. I forgot to mention that you really need to have a bit more hate in your board (Naturalize, Disenchant, etc) because you really don't have any way to defend yourself. If you can't find a spot main deck, sideboard a couple of WoG's/Day of Judgement/Sunscour because decks with a lot of creatures are going to eat you up fast and earlier than you can get your big beefies out.
Posted 22 July 2011 at 17:30