Discussion Forum

Boduka gardener flip

Budoka Gardener
Since this is both a creature and a legendary creature, it leaves me wondering how it works when you finally get 10 lands and have more or equal to 2 of these, does only 1 stay on the battlefield and rest go to graveyard or?
Posted 24 July 2011 at 15:01

You have to flip every Budoka Gardener you control, when you have 10 or more lands. Once they flip, if you have two or more, they are all legendary permanents, and you sacrifice each of them.
Posted 24 July 2011 at 16:25

:symtap:[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]You have to flip every Budoka Gardener you control, when you have 10 or more lands. Once they flip, if you have two or more, they are all legendary permanents, and you sacrifice each of them.[/QUOTE]

This is incorrect.

Budoka Gardener is a 2/1 creature with one activated ability:

":symtap: : You may put a land card from your hand into play. If you control ten or more lands, flip [this card]"

The ability is an ACTIVATED ability, not a continuous or triggered ability. This means that you will only flip the card as part of the ability resolving. Also, whenever you see the text "[name of card]", it means "this card", NOT "every card with the name [name]"

Once the card is flipped, it becomes
Dokai, Weaver of Life which is a 3/3 legendary creature. with one ability:

":mana4::manag::manag:, :symtap: : Put an X/X green Elemental creature token into play, where X is the number of lands you control."

and one inferred ability (the legends rule):

"If two or more cards with the name "Dokai, Weaver of Life" are on the field at the same time, they are all put into their owner's graveyards. This is a state-based effect."
Posted 25 July 2011 at 01:10

Oh hey! I didn't notice that the flip condition was appended to the activated ability. Good catch :)

So the way I described it was wrong, SilverTabby got it right on.
Posted 25 July 2011 at 17:42