Discussion Forum

Question about a card

The card in question is Second Wind. Says..
enchant creature
:symtap: tap enchanted creature.
:symtap: untap enchanted creature.

My husband has this card in his mill deck some cards are tap an untapped merfolk to have target player put this many cards from their library into their graveyard or even life gain. This card started a big heated argument last time we played magic with our friends. How he used it was he enchanted his life gain merfolk, and he was tapped that card to gain life then untap the same card to do it again. basically to gain a buttload of life. We were all like hey thats not right we think it means tap it to tap or untap ANOTHER enchanted creature. Soo... Who is right, us or him. LoL
Posted 25 July 2011 at 09:46

Second Wind has two abilities

"{T}: Tap enchanted creature.
{T}: Untap enchanted creature."

It's very straight forward, as most things are in Magic. The card does literally what it says and nothing else.

Everything before the colon ( : ) is the activation cost, and everything after is the activated ability. To pay Second Wind's cost, you must tap Second Wind. Then the activated ability is to tap or untap the enchanted creature. The ability can only target the creature Second Wind enchants, because the card specifically states "enchanted creature."
Posted 25 July 2011 at 17:52

Savy is absolutely correct about the card.

They created that card as the only enchantment in the game with a tap ability because it had never been done before.

The card is confusing because it is the only enchantment in the game with a tap ability and it has never been done before.

Whenever you see the :symtap:, replace it with the text "Tap this card" and things usually become clearer.
Posted 25 July 2011 at 20:37

Yes i understand it does what it says. But the question was is it to tap or untap ANOTHER enchanted creature. not the creature second wind is attached to.
Posted 25 July 2011 at 22:36

when an aura uses the words "enchanted creature", it always means the creature enchanted by that specific aura.
Posted 25 July 2011 at 22:56

[QUOTE=Seras]when an aura uses the words "enchanted creature", it always means the creature enchanted by that specific aura.[/QUOTE]

ok so what your saying is tap that enchanted creature to untap it? thats my issue... thats how my husband was using the card. the argument was does it mean to tap it to tap or untap ANOTHER enchanted creature. see to me it makes no sense to tap it to untap it... lol am i making sense the way im trying to explain it? lol
Posted 26 July 2011 at 01:29

[QUOTE=KrisVicious]ok so what your saying is tap that enchanted creature to untap it? thats my issue... thats how my husband was using the card. the argument was does it mean to tap it to tap or untap ANOTHER enchanted creature. see to me it makes no sense to tap it to untap it... lol am i making sense the way im trying to explain it? lol[/QUOTE]

Second Wind enchants one creature.

You can tap the card Second Wind to untap the creature Second Wind is attached to.

You can tap the card Second Wind to tap the creature Second Wind is attached to.

You cannot use an ability on "another target" if the card does not explicitly state the word(s) "another" and/or "target".

Cards do EXACTLY what they say.

This card says "enchanted creature", the creature this card is attached to. Your husband is adding the word "target" when it does not exist.

Second Wind affects ONE creature: the one it is attached to. No more. No less.
Posted 26 July 2011 at 06:49

OK! so my husband was using it right and we bitched at him for using it wrong. LOL! I feel like an ass now. :rolleyes: He is usually right when it comes to magic tho. :p
Posted 26 July 2011 at 08:19