Discussion Forum

Tapping an attacking creature after it has been declared

So I was playing a friend of mine who was using a "Tap Deck" which follows the name by focusing on tapping my permanents. The situation we ran into was I played and "Overrun" in my first Main Phase. Then I said I am going to attack with my "Garruk's Companion" and "Cudgel Troll." He said in response to me declaring them to attack he is activating "Fatesticher" (Tap: You may tap or untap another target permanent) and targeting my "Garruk's Companion". My question is was that actually a legal move to do since he is essentially waiting for me to tell him what I am going to do and then countering? Or is it as he said "That is how the stack works."
Posted 30 July 2011 at 17:09

Rule 506.4b states that tapping or untapping a creature that’s already been declared as an attacker or blocker doesn’t remove it from combat and doesn’t prevent its combat damage, so your friend is incorrect.
Posted 30 July 2011 at 18:09

Okay, that is what I thought, and when I told him that he would say (after I declare attackers) Before you do that I tap them. And I had given him time to do so before declaring attackers. I don't know if that makes a difference but that's the real problem.
Posted 30 July 2011 at 21:36

You have to announce the beginning of your combat phase. That is the last chance he has to tap any of your creatures. Once you declare attackers, so long as you gave him time to tap before hand, then it's too late.

I suggest you and he read up on the exact proceedings of combat, as well as timing and priority (because he can't simply say "before you do that, I do.." he cannot do anything, as a matter of fact, unless he has priority)
Posted 31 July 2011 at 01:37

Sorry to be the new guy, but where can I find that rule referred to in the post by sethbodine? This same question has come up at our table, but the cat who's considered the rules guru has managed to convince us all that yes you can tap creatures as they're declared for attack. (As described by l3laze in the first post.)
Posted 04 August 2011 at 20:41

http://www.wizards.com/magic/comprules/MagicCompRules_20110715.txt

comprehensive rules as of m12
Posted 04 August 2011 at 20:58

Thank you.
Posted 04 August 2011 at 22:25