Discussion Forum

Penance + Lurking Predators!

Hey all.

I made an enduring ideal deck. I want to use penance to both prevent damage and get enchantments back into my library so I can enduring ideal them out.

Can I use penance's ability to put a card onto my library, even if there is no red or black damage source?
Moreover can this only be done in response to a red or black damage source or can I do it on a permanent pre-emptively?

In response to someone playing a (for example) green creature spell, can I use penance to put a creature on top of my library, just after LPs ability triggers on the stack then get the creature out as it resolves?

Thanks all.
Posted 31 July 2011 at 04:23

[QUOTE=nick_mas]
Can I use penance's ability to put a card onto my library, even if there is no red or black damage source?
Moreover can this only be done in response to a red or black damage source or can I do it on a permanent pre-emptively?

In response to someone playing a (for example) green creature spell, can I use penance to put a creature on top of my library, just after LPs ability triggers on the stack then get the creature out as it resolves?

Thanks all.[/QUOTE]

First Question:No, there has to be a red or black target

Second Question:I don't believe so, penance says treat further damage from that source normally

Third Question:No, because Lurking Predator triggers when the spell is cast, meaning when it is placed on the stack.
Posted 31 July 2011 at 18:33

I believe you need to have a legal target in order to pay the cost of the ability. The exact proceeding is like this: You declare use of the ability, in which all targets must be legal, then you pay the costs. If you cannot use the ability because there are no legal targets, then you cannot pay its costs.

Painter's Servant will help with that. So will splashing red or black to run Pestilence or Pyrohemia.

With regards to that, you can use Penance to put a creature on top of your library in response to Lurking Predators ability triggering, so long as you could activate Penance's ability.

It would have to look something like this.
Opponent casts a spell, Lurking Predators triggers, pay {B} or {R} to activate one of the above mentioned enchantments, activate Penance to prevent the damage, the activation cost would put a creature from your hand on top of your library. Then as everything is resolved, Lurking Predators would put the creature onto the battlefield from the top of your library.
Posted 31 July 2011 at 20:10

I am more inclined to think that Savvaj cabbaj is correct on this one than I am, in fact, looking at it now, it seems fairly obvious that my conclusion was incorrect.
Posted 31 July 2011 at 20:21

You guys are definitely right about that.

Painter's servant would be great, especially because penance can prevent combat damage and the ability can be spammed on several sources if you have the cards to put on your library (im pretty sure about those 2 things). I think its a great card for some decks.

Thanks for the replies.
Posted 01 August 2011 at 03:16