Discussion Forum

Hive Mind + Final Fortune + Eater of Days

Anyone know how the turns would stack with this combo?

Last night, in my weekly EDH match, I played Hive Mind one turn, then on the next turn, I cast Final Fortune, then Eater of Days.

When Final Fortune was cast, each player copied it (to much groaning), meaning everyone took an extra turn after the current one. I then cast Eater of Days and skipped my next two turns (the extra one, plus one more). Everyone else took their turn then lost, leaving me as the sole player.

Someone challenged my combo and said that Eater only skips normal turns and not "extra" ones. Any help with this, or perhaps a ruling?
Posted 03 August 2011 at 13:53

Eater of Days skips the next two turns regardless of them being extra turns, so your combo should work.
Posted 03 August 2011 at 14:15

Thanks. BTW, what do you think of that combo? Kind of not fair for EDH.
Posted 03 August 2011 at 14:19

EDH for me is about long games where the balance constantly shifts, I don't like combo that ends the game in one turn. it feels weak. the way we play EDH is all about everyone can play. we run almost no countermagic, no land destruct (we do destruct maze of ith and problem land but we don't disrupt land in general) and we don't play discard. this makes the format fun for our group but it's personal. We play tournament level legacy as well and there everything goes so our EDH games are a nice change from that.

if I were to go to an EDH competition of some kind I would build a very different deck. I would probably play combo and tons of countermagic. it all depends.

besides if you play multiplayer it doesn't matter that you play combo, next game people will probably all team up on you anyway so the problem corrects itself.
Posted 03 August 2011 at 19:51

If I were you I'd totally run Sundial of the Infinity with those. Eater of Days for no downside?

RR for an extra turn and you DON'T lose the game at the end...pretty awesome.
Posted 07 August 2011 at 23:12

[QUOTE=Scotty1700]If I were you I'd totally run Sundial of the Infinity with those. Eater of Days for no downside?

RR for an extra turn and you DON'T lose the game at the end...pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

Sundial of the Infinite does not prevent you from skipping your next two turns via Eater of Days. But Torpor Orb and Stifle do. There's actually a deck built around those and Phyrexian Dreadnought, and to a lesser extent cards like Eater of Days too.
Posted 08 August 2011 at 00:25

The point is that I want Eater of Days to trigger its ability so that I am immune to my copy of Final Fortune. I skip my next turns and everyone else loses in the meantime.
Posted 08 August 2011 at 05:14

[QUOTE=Scotty1700]If I were you I'd totally run Sundial of the Infinity with those. Eater of Days for no downside?

RR for an extra turn and you DON'T lose the game at the end...pretty awesome.[/QUOTE]

playing a single copy of sundail and then pack spells that are dead without it is a pretty bad tactic. this is still EDH, every card should be a bomb.
Posted 08 August 2011 at 06:58

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]Sundial of the Infinite does not prevent you from skipping your next two turns via Eater of Days. But Torpor Orb and Stifle do. There's actually a deck built around those and Phyrexian Dreadnought, and to a lesser extent cards like Eater of Days too.[/QUOTE]

Oh, I was under the impression that it was still a triggered effect that made you skip those turns (Triggered by EoD entering the battlefield or "coming into play")

[QUOTE=Seth;27507]playing a single copy of sundail and then pack spells that are dead without it is a pretty bad tactic. this is still EDH, every card should be a bomb.[/QUOTE]

I suppose that's true.
Posted 10 August 2011 at 02:17