Discussion Forum

Splice into arcane/opponent response

Say I play any arcane spell. If the opponent chooses not to respond, and if i use the Splice into Arcane effect of some other card, does he get another chance to respond to the first spell?It would make sense since the spell is still on the stack... Or is that the aim of the whole Splicing theme, that you can't counter the original spell?
Posted 14 October 2009 at 15:10

im pretty sure that he would be unable to respond to the first spell as he has already decided to let it resolve. splicing would make the second spell become part of the first spell, which already resolved.
Posted 14 October 2009 at 22:18

you reveal and pay for the splice at the same time as you play the spell: they are one entity on the stack . The opponent cannot act between the playing of the spell and the splicing because they are, in effect, only one spell.

you cannot splice onto a spell that has already resolved, only at the time it goes into the stack. The opponent cannot counter the splice, only the spell itself.
Posted 15 October 2009 at 17:36

if the opponent plays a spell and i do not respond to that particular one, he cannot proceed by splicing, because I have already let the spell resolve?

Thanks! (this seems a little fairer than "Ha! you can't counter the splice because you already let the first spell pass through")
Posted 18 October 2009 at 23:19

"if the opponent plays a spell and i do not respond to that particular one he cannot proceed by splicing, because I have already let the spell resolve?"

well, just because you don't act doesnt mean the stack instantly resolves...if you pass priority back he can still cast more instant effects on top of the spell.

but yes, he would have to declare the spell and the splice at the same time.
Posted 19 October 2009 at 00:49

Also, if the original spell was countered, the splice would be countered as well.
Posted 22 October 2009 at 20:35