Discussion Forum

Drifting Shade

Can I use Drifting Shade's ability more than once to add a +2/+2, +3/+3, etc, if I have the mana to pay for it? Thanks.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Handlers/Image.ashx?multiverseid=220088&type=card
Posted 05 August 2011 at 05:45

You can activate the ability as many times as you want, as long as you have the mana for it.
Posted 05 August 2011 at 05:49

This has been a debate between my friends and I who are either new or rusty to Magic. I tried to add a +6/+6 by paying 6 mana but I was told I could only activate the ability once for the +1/+1. Hopefully this will resolve the issue.
Posted 05 August 2011 at 05:58

That's the whole theme of Shades is they can dump mana into themselves for massive boosts :D
Posted 05 August 2011 at 07:51

If you couldn't activate an ability more than once a turn, then Ashling the Pilgrim and several like it would be completely useless:

http://www.mtgvault.com/images/cards/medium/LRW/Ashling_the_Pilgrim.jpg

The only reason an ability could not be activated more than once is if you can't pay the cost (such as :symtap:), or the ability specifically says "only activate this ability each turn" like it does on Viashino Slaughtermaster
Posted 05 August 2011 at 08:26

Thanks for the responses.
Posted 05 August 2011 at 09:04

What if you have more then one Drifting Shade on the battle field.. if you tap 1 mana does it boost both of just one of the drifting shades..
Posted 13 September 2011 at 23:13

[QUOTE=Kao007]What if you have more then one Drifting Shade on the battle field.. if you tap 1 mana does it boost both of just one of the drifting shades..[/QUOTE]

No. Activating an ability on one shade only affects that shade.

The text /CARD_NAME/, means "this card".
Posted 13 September 2011 at 23:19

sorry i'm kinda new to this.. what does these mean?

:Haste
:First Strike
:Vigilance
They are all knew to me..
Posted 13 September 2011 at 23:45

[QUOTE=Kao007]sorry I'm kinda new to this.. what does these mean?

:Haste
:First Strike
:Vigilance
They are all new to me..[/QUOTE]

It's OK. I understood the rules somewhat quickly, but it took me a few months before I figured out some of the abilities.

:Haste = "This creature is not affected by summoning sickness."
(you can attack and use :symtap: activated abilities the turn this creature enters the battlefield)

:First Strike = "This creature deals damage before creatures without First Strike."
(A 6/1 with first strike will kill and survive an encounter with a 6/6 titan)

:Vigilance = "Attacking does not cause this creature to tap."
(You can attack with this creature and still use it as a blocker)

A few others you might run into:

:Flying = "This creature cannot be blocked except by creatures with flying."

:Reach = "This creature can block creatures with flying."

: DeathTouch = "1 damage dealt by this creature to another creature is considered lethal damage"

:Trample = "All damage above what it would take to kill the blocking creatures is dealt to the defending player."
(normally damage is wasted against 1/1 chump blockers. Trample makes chump blocking almost useless. Think piercing damage)

:Shroud = "This card cannot be the target of spells or abilities."
(this includes your own spells like Giant Growth)

:Hexproof = "This card cannot be the target of spells or abilities your opponents control."
(this does not include your own spells)

:Lifelink = "Whenever this creature deals damage, you gain that much life."

:Intimidate = "This creature cannot be blocked except by artifact creatures or creatures that share a color with this card."
(usually only found on black cards)

:Protection from X = "This card cannot be Damaged, Enchanted, Blocked, or Targeted by X"
(DEBT)
Posted 14 September 2011 at 07:22

Thank you so much=).. THat helps alot!!!!!!!!!
Posted 14 September 2011 at 08:10