Discussion Forum

A new format????

So my friends and I bought a box and split the cost 5 ways. Before we opened the packs we each declared a color that would be ours to play and keep. out of only the cards opened in the packs (plus land) we built a 60 card deck and proceeded to have a star battle in which your two allied colors are your allies and the objective is to kill your enemy colors.

We've tried it several times now and it's a fairly even color/rarity spread, almost every color ends up with at least a few really good cards. How we deal with artifacts is the raares are split as evenly as possible and we then take turns distributing the others (if anyone even wants them) and we have a special house rule with dual lands. They come into play at the end of your 2nd turn so you must go through 2 turns without extra mana but after turn two you have 2 mana (one for each side) at your disposal at instant speed. We've found that although having 4 mana at the end of turn two is annoying it speeds up gameplay and has yet to cause a serious problem. the worst that happens is a counterspell from blue.

If this sounds interesting (which it should because its hella fun) I highly suggest that you don't get a box from one set but rather split it. It makes the games more interesting as well as for some reason increases our odds of getting better cards.

In the games we've done Green usually wins (because of a 360/360 Primordial Hydra) andBlack is a force to be reckoned with. Blue is usually not much more than a support color but can be annoying. and the person who has played red for us kinda sucks so we have no idea of how devastating red can be in this format.

So you guys tell me if you'd be game for this: $20 gets you an entire box worth of a single color. All the rares and mythics that we pull for that color are yours for the entry fee and then you get to play a ridiculously fun game where your allies are helping you but are secretly plotting to win by killing your other ally.
Posted 05 August 2011 at 18:51

One potential problem that I can see with this format: What if two people want the same colour? While it is simple enough to fairly decide who should get the colour using a coin toss or whatever, the loser of these two people would get stuck with whatever colour was left over, perhaps a colour that that person is not particularly good at using, kinda giving them the short end of the stick.
Posted 06 August 2011 at 06:11