Discussion Forum

Insect token deck help

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=219782

It does well so far, but I have issues getting tokens out fast enough and I don't want to spend 25 bucks a pop on doubling season for a casual card game.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Posted 09 August 2011 at 05:05

Doubling season is a very 'casual' card as it isn't played in any tournament format. The only reason it's priced so high is that it breaks planeswalkers and everyone seems to want them.

Anyway you don't need them to make your deck better. Doubling season is slow, it's a 5 mana spell that doesn't do anything on its own, it's just yet another combo piece. It's not like you win when you play it.
I've owned a playset for years and they hardly ever come out of my map, now for the first time in years I play 1 in an EDH deck and there it's totally broken.

What you need to do for your deck is proper mana ramping and taking care of those vulnerabilities.

The way your deck functions now is: You need Fyndhorn Elder to give you mana so you can play your high mana cost spells and you use Wirewood Symbiote + another elf to abuse Fyndhorn Elder.
As your opponent I would make sure Fyndhorn Elder never lasts past his summoning sickness, ever. I would spot remove it, or sweep the board and your deck would be dead.

Proper mana acceleration that is harder to attack is getting more land into play like you do with wood elves.
Read my reply in this post

http://forums.mtgvault.com/showthread.php?p=27522#post27522

for a list of spells that ramp your manabase. That way you can play high mana spells without much risk.

Another benefit is that you can add a second color. Play 4 Sakura-Tribe Elder and 4 Cultivate and add 2 plains to that deck and you can easily support a white splash like, and here it comes: Glare of Subdual, a 1$ card that will win you far more games then Doubling Season ever will.
The card is busted with tokens, just tap whatever defender your opponent has out and hit him with your big fat Scute Mob.

cheers

Seth
Posted 11 August 2011 at 07:04

Thanks for all the great input! I've made some changes that you suggested, and it should be looking a little better now :D
Posted 15 August 2011 at 22:53