Discussion Forum

Stack question concerning fling

One combo I use a lot in my artifact burn deck is fling combined with the abilities of moltensteel dragon and immolating souleater. To my understanding, an opponent can't use a card such as doomblade or vapor snag on my creature in response to me casting fling because as soon as fling goes onto the stack, that creature is sacrificed and therefore couldn't be targeted by doom blade even though it is above fling on the stack. Is this correct?

Also, I thought that once any player puts a spell or ability on the stack (such as the activated abilities of moltensteel dragon and immolating souleater), that same player has priority to put another spell on the stack (fling) before their opponent can add anything to the stack. If that were the case, couldn't I beef up my creature and then fling it without my opponent being able to play a doom blade or vapor snag?

Thanks in advance for any help.
Posted 10 August 2011 at 00:39

Once Fling goes on the stack, your opponents cannot destroy the creature because it has already been sacrificed. Sacrificing a creature for Fling is a cost just as much as the mana is. Yes, you could beef up your creature and fling, say it goes like this: You pay 5 R to give a moltensteel dragon +5/+0 until end of turn, and then your opponent tries to vapor snag it. Fling is an instant, so in response to their vapor snag going on the stack, you can cast fling and sacrifice your creature before they can bounce it.
Posted 10 August 2011 at 01:38