Discussion Forum

Mimeoplasm and regenerate in EDH

I bought the Devour for Power precon and I am trying to rework the deck to be a bit stronger. I am looking at cards that I can copy with regenerate.

my question, do Regenerate abilities happen before or after the creature falls into the graveyard?

if it does happen after, am I able to allow my general (mimeoplasm) to fall into the graveyard, and if so, does he retain his copied abilities so I can regenerate him?
Posted 12 August 2011 at 04:13

[QUOTE=Hodenkrieg]I bought the Devour for Power precon and I am trying to rework the deck to be a bit stronger. I am looking at cards that I can copy with regenerate.

my question, do Regenerate abilities happen before or after the creature falls into the graveyard?

if it does happen after, am I able to allow my general (mimeoplasm) to fall into the graveyard, and if so, does he retain his copied abilities so I can regenerate him?[/QUOTE]

Regenerate is a response to lethal combat damage or "destroy" effects. It doesn't protect from sacrificing, for example. Even so, The Mimeoplasm requires you to exile the copied cards, thus any recursion tricks won't work.
Posted 12 August 2011 at 04:25

I worded it a bit poorly. if I can give an example so I can be sure, lets say

I cast my Mimeoplasm out of the command zone. I copy the Power/Toughness of Mortivore (*/*, * being equal to all creatures in all graveyards) and the ability of Reassembling Skeleton (1U/1B - return from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped)

Someone destroys him, or he is killed.

Am I able to use the ability copied from Reassembling Skeleton, or would these abilities be removed on his death, which would make these cards pretty much useless to me?
Posted 12 August 2011 at 04:36

[QUOTE=Hodenkrieg]I worded it a bit poorly. if I can give an example so I can be sure, lets say

I cast my Mimeoplasm out of the command zone. I copy the Power/Toughness of Mortivore (*/*, * being equal to all creatures in all graveyards) and the ability of Reassembling Skeleton (1U/1B - return from your graveyard to the battlefield tapped)

Someone destroys him, or he is killed.

Am I able to use the ability copied from Reassembling Skeleton, or would these abilities be removed on his death, which would make these cards pretty much useless to me?[/QUOTE]

Oh I see now...No, copying Reassembling Skelly is useless =/

The Mimeoplasm technically has the ability, but it has to be in the graveyard to use it, at which point it can't use it...it's a catch-22
Posted 12 August 2011 at 04:56

cool, thank you
Posted 12 August 2011 at 05:05

[QUOTE=Hodenkrieg]my question, do Regenerate abilities happen before or after the creature falls into the graveyard?[/QUOTE]

A creature that regenerates never goes to the graveyard. Regenerating a creature creates a replacement effect that is triggered when the creature is destroyed and that says "the next time the permanent would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage from that permanent and tap it, if it was in combat remove it from combat."
Posted 12 August 2011 at 08:59

This brings up another question on regenerating a creature. if they take lethal damage in combat and they are regenerated and then someone plays a spell to destroy it or give it lethal damage again would you need to regenerate it again or is it safe for that turn?

provided you had the mana to regenerate it or what ever the regen condition was.
Posted 12 August 2011 at 20:33

[QUOTE=Seth]A creature that regenerates never goes to the graveyard. Regenerating a creature creates a replacement effect that is triggered when the creature is destroyed and that says "the next time the permanent would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage from that permanent and tap it, if it was in combat remove it from combat."[/QUOTE]

This is correct, as well as what Sure said. To sum it up, what Reanimating Skeleton does, is not regeneration. If you copied something like Drudge Skeleton, however, then Mimeoplasm would be able to regenerate, or if you copied something like Gravebane Zombie then Mimeoplasm would be sent to the top of your library instead of going to the graveyard.

Otherwise, when Mimeoplasm leaves the battlefield, he ceases to be a copy of a creature and reverts back to his text only.
Posted 12 August 2011 at 20:48

beautiful, I think I am getting it.

To sum it up, something like Reassembling Skeleton, because it leaves the battlefield, he would lose his copied abilities, which is what I don't want, but something like Drudge Skeletons would simply tap him, and the lethal damage is removed, keeping him in play.

I think I am grasping the concept here, Thanks everyone for their replies. I am relatively new to MTG and Mimeoplasm is a wordy card with infinite possibilities and its requiring a lot of knowledge I don't have yet xD
Posted 12 August 2011 at 23:27

[QUOTE=LurkerDark]This brings up another question on regenerating a creature. if they take lethal damage in combat and they are regenerated and then someone plays a spell to destroy it or give it lethal damage again would you need to regenerate it again or is it safe for that turn?

provided you had the mana to regenerate it or what ever the regen condition was.[/QUOTE]

Regenerate is a preventative measure, you can activate it at any time. When you do, the creature gains a "regeneration shield" (unofficial term) that reads, as Seth quoted, "the next time the permanent would be destroyed this turn, instead remove all damage from that permanent and tap it, if it was in combat remove it from combat."

So, if a creature used it's regeneration to prevent its destruction, then further damage and destruction effects that turn destroy it as normal unless it regenerates again.

[QUOTE=Hodenkrieg;27668]beautiful, I think I am getting it.

To sum it up, something like Reassembling Skeleton, because it leaves the battlefield, he would lose his copied abilities, which is what I don't want, but something like Drudge Skeletons would simply tap him, and the lethal damage is removed, keeping him in play.[/QUOTE]

That is correct

[QUOTE]
I think I am grasping the concept here, Thanks everyone for their replies. I am relatively new to MTG and Mimeoplasm is a wordy card with infinite possibilities and its requiring a lot of knowledge I don't have yet xD[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I didn't really learn how to play until about a year ago.. and I've been playing for over a decade! So many things were just assumed, because a house player teaches house rules, and those house rules are taught to more new players... It's enough to get you playing the game, but when something like this comes up, until you actually read the rule for regeneration, you don't know how it actually works! So, my best advice to you is, continue playing as you know how, and whenever something comes up that you're unsure of, or that you absolutely need to know how it works to see if it does work (this comes up a lot once you begin to think of your own synergies and combos), then check the rules. They're usually very enlightening :)

They can be found here:
www.wizards.com/magic/rules
Posted 13 August 2011 at 00:58

one of the card you were thinking of is Extraplanar lens it states "whenever a land withe the same name as the imprinted card is tapped for mana, its controller adds one mana to his or her mana pool of any type that the land produced."
Posted 15 August 2011 at 13:21