Discussion Forum

Redirect + Illusion

I understand that the ruling on illusions is "When becomes the target of a spell or ability, sacrifice it." With Redirect, "You may choose new targets for target spell." So lets say i have a Phantasmal Bear out and they use a lightning bolt. In response to the lightning bolt i Redirect it. does my bear still die? also would that be the same with any sort of counter spell?
Posted 12 August 2011 at 19:02

yes, your bear would go away.

cast lighting bolt, target bear.
bears illusion ability triggers
cast redirect on lightning bolt

you could still redirect the lightning bolt to another card or them but your bear would be gone just the same.

and yes that's who all illusions work.
Posted 12 August 2011 at 20:24

A counter spell can only only target spells, which means Phantasmal Bear would be on the stack. If you had a way to counter or remove the counter spell from the stack, Phantasmal Bear would enter the battlefield as normal. You cannot sacrifice him until he enters the battlefield and becomes a permanent.
Posted 12 August 2011 at 20:50

I don't mean counter the bear. I mean they cast something that targets the bear and i use a counter spell of some sort. From what people are saying, the counter spell would be wasted on trying to counter whatever was cast on the bear.

Redirect would, at least, have some sort of benefit I guess.
Posted 12 August 2011 at 20:55

In the case of hexproof, would hexproof only protect illusions from opponents spells? example:

If someone casts Grand Architect, regardless of hexproof, would the illusion die?
Posted 12 August 2011 at 21:27

Oh! My bad. Yeah, a counter spell would be wasted.

Regarding hexproof, yes it will protect your Illusions from your opponents' spells and abilities, but if you target your own illusions it'll trigger them to sacrifice. Grand Architect's ability does not target, so the +1/+1 and "tap a blue creature" ability would not cause your illusions to sac.
Posted 12 August 2011 at 23:14