Discussion Forum

Discarding counts as?.. play?

Just thinking about this card Recycle, would discarding cards leave you card less or let you draw new cards?
Thinking of using it in combination with zombie infestation..

oh btw another question

Hand size would Recycle win vs Reliquary Tower?
Posted 16 August 2011 at 06:49

discard is not the same as casting/playing. if you discard, you do not get to draw cards.
Posted 16 August 2011 at 13:53

[QUOTE=Naab007]
Hand size would Recycle win vs Reliquary Tower?[/QUOTE]

I'm not quite sure what you meant by that, but Reliquary Tower would not prevent you from discarding down to two, if that is what you meant.
Posted 16 August 2011 at 18:39

[QUOTE=Naab007]
Hand size would Recycle win vs Reliquary Tower?[/QUOTE]

It uses timestamp, If Reliquary Tower tower was put on the battlefield with Recycle already on the field you have no maximum handsize and don't have to discard down to two. I use this trick with Null Profusion which is basically the black version of Recycle. If you play those bounce lands like Golgari Rot Farm you can use them to take back Reliquary Tower so you can replay it to get around timestamp if Recycle was played after Reliquary Tower.

PS: for those who think I'm wrong, the orcale text of Recycle has been changed to:

Skip your draw step.
Whenever you play a card, draw a card.
Your maximum hand size is two.

So it does interact with Reliquary Tower.
Posted 17 August 2011 at 12:50

[QUOTE=Seth]It uses timestamp, If Reliquary Tower tower was put on the battlefield with Recycle already on the field you have no maximum handsize and don't have to discard down to two. I use this trick with Null Profusion which is basically the black version of Recycle. If you play those bounce lands like Golgari Rot Farm you can use them to take back Reliquary Tower so you can replay it to get around timestamp if Recycle was played after Reliquary Tower.

PS: for those who think I'm wrong, the orcale text of Recycle has been changed to:

Skip your draw step.
Whenever you play a card, draw a card.
Your maximum hand size is two.

So it does interact with Reliquary Tower.[/QUOTE]

I guess that makes me wrong, sorry. :( Although it is kind of cool that it works that way now, you get the benefits of recycle, but negate its downside. :)
Posted 17 August 2011 at 22:04

Well, until Seth posted the Oracle errata for Recycle, I was going to recommend Library of Leng..

I think I'll have to get a hold of Recycle and Null Profusion for my Glissa EDH deck now :3 *sigh* more cards to add to my wish list ;)
Posted 18 August 2011 at 17:08

[QUOTE=SavajCabbaj]Well, until Seth posted the Oracle errata for Recycle, I was going to recommend Library of Leng[/QUOTE]
They changed Library of Leng to "You have no maximum hand size", so without the change on recycle, that wouldn't have helped either.
Posted 18 August 2011 at 17:28

It's the second part of the card, "Whenever you would discard a card..." The Library would allow you to place discarded cards on top of your library, and even with the errata Library can still be beneficial -- the order in which you play Library and Recycle don't matter very much.
Posted 19 August 2011 at 04:59