Discussion Forum

Haven't played in years; could use some deck advice.

I haven't play mtg since I graduated high school in '03 and my card binder was stolen, but I recently bought a few deck builder's kits (awesome deal btw) and I could use some advice on my first deck build.

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=224097

Wolfbriar Elemental was the first new(ish) card to really grab my attention, and I quickly decided to base the deck around that, as I already had 2 of them. That with overrun dominates nearly every game I play. Right now I want to make the deck quicker.

I'm considering trading all my red instant damage spells for some blue draw 1 or scry cards, but I'd rather find some green cards that offer me close to the same thing. My red spells have saved my ass on more than one occasion, but if I can speed the deck up enough, I don't think they'll be necessary.

This is all still a work in progress, so any advice is appreciated.
Posted 20 August 2011 at 01:44

Welcome back man!

Harrow will speed up your deck, Khalni Hydra is loads better that Pelakka Wurm, and Leatherback Baloth is cheaper AND stronger than Giant Spider. Consider taking out the Spider and the Pelakka Wurms and getting a few more Baloths and a Hydra or two.

If you are willing to buy dual lands, go for it. It makes it easier for you to play green-heavy spells like the Baloth. Cards like Rootboung Crag or Copperline Gorge are a good start.

Unless you play fairly long games and actually get 8 mana on the field regularly, I would take out Terastadon. This will bring you down to 60 cards and remove a card that can't be played much of the time.

Howl of the Wolf Pack is another card you might want to look at.

Also, try Overwhelming Stampede. =D
Posted 21 August 2011 at 20:55