Discussion Forum

How illegal is this deck of mine?

I have never really played standard, and was wanting to get into competitive play, only problem is... I don't know how legal or illegal in better words my deck is.

(Note: If this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it and tell me so I know where to post these kind of threads from now on!)

The deck itself is a token/horde deck that consists of black/green.

4x Herd Gnarr
2x Mycoloth
4x Savage Thallid
4x Sporesower Thallid
4x Thallid
4x Thallid Germinator
4x Thallid Shell-Dweller
4x Deathspore Thallid
2x Thelon of Havenwood

Enchantments
2x Fists of Ironwood

Land
10x Forest
6x Swamp
1x Pendelhaven

Spells
1x Scatter the Seeds
4x Terror
4x Rampant Growth

Also: I'm looking for two replacement cards for Thelon of Havenwood. The only time I find her ability useful is if I have over 20 tokens on Mycoloth, and that's very rare.
Posted 21 August 2011 at 21:59

Your deck is Legacy legal. Also, Thelon is really good in Saproling swarms :D
Posted 22 August 2011 at 03:22

[QUOTE=surewhynot]Your deck is Legacy legal. Also, Thelon is really good in Saproling swarms :D[/QUOTE]

Is there any difference between Standard and Legacy? I've thought about that, but I only find it useful when I devour over 20-35 tokens for Mycoloth. He would be the only one to really be able to use it to it's fullest potential.

Also, which cards of mine aren't standard legal? I sorta want to play in Tournaments.
Posted 22 August 2011 at 03:28

The only cards in your deck that are Standard legal are Rampant Growth, Forest, and Swamp =P
Posted 22 August 2011 at 05:30

[QUOTE=surewhynot]The only cards in your deck that are Standard legal are Rampant Growth, Forest, and Swamp =P[/QUOTE]

Dear god. I guess I'm sticking to Legacy, lmfao.
Posted 22 August 2011 at 05:31

Your deck is Modern Legal (see Modern section for the rules of building a Modern legal deck). Modern is a new tournament format that just became official and it's somewhere inbetween Legacy and Standard. It doesn't rotate and everything as of 8th edition is legal save for the cards of the banned list.

A deck like this doesn't stand a chance in a Legacy tournament but you might be able to make it work in Modern for the purpose of joining small local tournaments of a more casual nature.

A typical problem you'll face is decks playing Wrath of God or simular cards. Cards that sweep the board. Without extra card draw it's hard to recover from a well timed sweep.
Another problem is interaction with other decks. Your deck doesn't have anything to interact with combo decks like for instance Reveillark. They will slow you down until the point where they kill you with an infinite loop.

Tournament formats force you to play optimized archetypes. Aggro decks like yours have to be very fast (turn 3-5 kill) in order to beat combo and control. Control needs to be able to disrupt decks early on to stay alive long enough to take over the game. Combo decks need to gather a selection of cards and setup a combination that instantly wins the game and is hard to disrupt.

cheers
Posted 22 August 2011 at 07:28