Discussion Forum

Sunforger & No Mana Cost Spells

I built an experimental extraction deck for Modern that uses Sunforger to fetch tutors and other spells to help facilitate using Restore Balance. It was my assumption that Sunforger could not be used to cast Restore Balance directly, as it has no casting cost, which would preclude the stipulation of casting a spell with CMC 4 or less (Null !<= 4).

However, reading the gatherer errata for Evermind, which states: "Evermind has no mana cost, which means it can't normally be cast as a spell. You could, however, cast it via some alternate means, like with Sunforger or Kaho, Minamo Historian." Never mind that Evermind is not red or white, spells like Sleight of Mind can fix this.

Restore Balance's errata mentions nothing of this, but does mention Fist of Suns and Mind's Desire (functionally similar to Galvanoth) as alternate methods of casting Restore Balance; however, these alternate methods are fundamentally different from Sunforger.

So. The question is, can I use Sunforger to cast Restore Balance?
Posted 26 August 2011 at 16:48

The only reason you couldn't play Restore Balance is if it does not fulfill all of these requirements:

"red or white instant card with converted mana cost 4 "
-It is either :manaw: or :manar: --- Can be fixed
-Has CMC <= 4 --- CMC of N/A is 0 is less than four
-Is an instant --- Major problem. Restore Balance is a sorcery. I don't know of an easy way to fix that
Posted 27 August 2011 at 02:40

Oh snap! Haha, the most obvious things pass before my eyes and I don't even notice sometimes :) Just like mentioning that I use Sunforger to fetch Tutors, this is obviously not true either :P
Posted 27 August 2011 at 03:59