Discussion Forum

Jund BloodLoam

Hey guys

I've been toying with this build for a few weeks now, it's probably what I'm going to run at the tournament I'll be going to the 16th.

updated list: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/modern-bloodloam/

origenal list

modern loam
60 cards, 15 sideboard
4 Arid Mesa
3 Blood Crypt
3 Forest
1 Ghost Quarter
3 Grove of the Burnwillows
1 Mountain
2 Stomping Ground
2 Swamp
4 Verdant Catacombs
23 lands

4 Dark Confidant
4 Tarmogoyf
4 Countryside Crusher
12 creatures

2 Deathmark
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Boom // Bust
3 Life from the Loam
3 Punishing Fire
3 Blood Moon
2 Maelstrom Pulse
3 Seismic Assault
1 Consuming Vapors
25 other spells

Sideboard
1 Blood Moon
2 Krosan Grip
2 Ancient Grudge
3 Firespout
3 Choke
2 Deathmark
1 Maelstrom Pulse
1 Consuming Vapors
15 sideboard cards

I'm not sure about the mainboard Boom/Bust yet, I saw it in a zoo list and I figur with the mainboard Blood Moon it will be useful to fight the popular 12post decks and also color disrupt Zoo decks and slow down control.

I think I might drop the Boom/Bust for either Lotus Cobra or Birds of Paradise.

The deadmarks mainboard are a meta call, I figur I'll see a lot of green/white cards be it Doran Rock, Zoo or white control builds. Even Primeval Titans are a good target although a resolved Titan might mean game over for me.

Birds might give me Turn 2 Seisimic Assault or Blood Moon but are more likely to be shot down. Then again they fit better into my curve then Lotus Cobra so I'll probably go for Birds.

I might also go for a playset Nature's Claim instead of Krosan Grip and Pulse in side. A 1 mana removal might be good versus Pyromancer decks and Affinity. Ancient Grudge is great but doesn't help against enchantments and I think enchantments will be more dominant in Modern then they are in Legacy. I also need to be able to hit Leyline of the Void if anyone brings them.

I might pack Leyline of the void myself against graveyard based combo like Gifts Ungiven decks and Melira Combo.

Anyone experienced fighting 12post decks? Any other advice?

cheers

Seth
Posted 02 September 2011 at 08:38

My friend runs an underdeveloped 12-post (aka 10-post), and absolutely the best thing I can do to disrupt him is run Tec Edge (and when I get them, Ghost Quarter). So far, anyways, he's begun to go after Loams now so it's only a temporary stall. Blood Moon looks like it'll be a more solid pick than destruction, because I can see more 12-post SB'ing Loam due to all the love for GQ and Tec Edge.

-1 Forest +1 Horizon Canopy for a Loam draw-engine?

Just my inexperienced opinion :P
Posted 02 September 2011 at 15:35

the horizon canopy is in. good call! I play it in my legacy loam deck so I'm not sure why I overlooked it here.

what I'm afraid of is the combination of Dark Confidant, lots of 3 drops and shocklands. the shocklands and lack of sylvan library are the big difference with legacy loam in terms of confidant suicide. I think I'm going to need lifegain. Loxodon warhammer or basilisk collar. warhammer on countryside crusher should be game, but it's expensive at 6 mana, play and equip.

Another think I'm concidering is worm harvest but I think it's probably just win more and the slot is better assigned to spotremoval.
Posted 03 September 2011 at 00:58