Discussion Forum

EDH G/W Rhys commander

This is the deck I use when playing against my friends. The problem is that it is too slow usually. By the time I have an army going either I'm nearly dead or everyone else has the field filled as well. Any suggestions to making it better?

Token Commander
Posted 04 September 2011 at 00:43

You play so many bad cards I don't even know where to start.

Rhys the Redeemed is a good general, I've seen people build broken decks using him. You should build that wants to create tokens fast and overrun.

Good enchantments would be: Fecundity, Mirrari's Wake, Doubling Season, Martyr's Bond, Beastmaster Ascension, Glare of Subdual, Luminarch Ascension

You should also play replenish to bring all these back from the yard.

But why would you play something like Aluren? It doesn't do anything for this deck. Also stuff like Asceticism and True Conviction, while not bad spells they make the deck slower without really winning it for you.

You need tons of carddraw, this is a must for every EDH deck. But you have nothing that draws cards. In fact you play cards that are pure card disadvantage like War Report. Wow I gain 20 life and loose a card. That's really not worth it, it buys you 1 turn at best and in multiplayer not even that.

In a multiplayer game every card you play is card disadvantage because for every 1 card you play each of the other players play a card in return. In a 4 player game for every 1 card you play you get 3 cards played against you, try keep up with that with no card draw.

Some other bad cards I see:

- Birds of Paradise/Llanowar Elves: Card disadvantage. Sakura Tribe Elder or Cultivate or the likes advance your landbase which survives board sweeps. Birds dies to lets say wrath of God and you will not have advanced your board position. That and Birds are only good the first few turns of the game. Mid game they are aweful.

- Shattered Angel: reaaaalllly bad. it's just an overpriced 3/3
- Soul Warden and the likes: card disadvantage, forget about lifegain!!! if you want lifegain try Beacon of Immortality.
- Palace Guard: card disadvantage, it doesn't win the game, it's just something that dies.

- Purity: unless you play against a burn EDH it's really just not good enough
- Whispersilk Cloak: token deck, the strong thing about tokens is that you don't card if your opponent kills one, there's plenty more. you don't need shroud.

- Mimic Vat: while this is an awesome spell I would only run it in a deck with tons of removal so you can control it. in this deck your opponent controls it. it can be dropped.

- Coat of Arms: it's the most dangerous overrun in the game, if you don't win it might end up killing you. opponents play martail coup too.
There's plenty of other overruns to choose from like Garruk for starters.

that's just a few.

Also you don't have any board sweepers aside from martial coup. There is always in every game the need to blow stuff up. When your opponents are getting ahead you need to destroy the board. Magus of the Disk is too slow and vulnerable and you don't even abuse him with Reveillark and Karmic Guide

Google some EDH decks, figur out what interactions other players play, find out what wins games.
Posted 06 September 2011 at 08:39