Discussion Forum

For a beginner

Well, first off, I am a beginner in Magic: The Gathering. I have recently bought a bunch of cards at local stores, but I have gotten so many common cards that dont look powerful at all. Am I missing something or is there a way to make a decent deck with mostly common cards? I love the concept of the game, but I dont want to spend a ton of cash buying a ton of rare cards that can get expensive fast.
Posted 05 September 2011 at 23:23

[QUOTE=mateo531]Well, first off, I am a beginner in Magic: The Gathering. I have recently bought a bunch of cards at local stores, but I have gotten so many common cards that dont look powerful at all. Am I missing something or is there a way to make a decent deck with mostly common cards? I love the concept of the game, but I dont want to spend a ton of cash buying a ton of rare cards that can get expensive fast.[/QUOTE]

Hello, and welcome to Magic: The Gathering, one of the best card games ever. Please enjoy your stay :)

If you have a large amount of cheap commons, I would that you should try building either a red deck, or a red-green aggro (aggressive, creature based) deck. Both can be done simply, cheaply and with mostly commons. For example, this deck - a Red Deck Wins - is very high quality, but it can cost less than $10 and is mostly commons.

If you can't afford to buy cards individually, or if you just want to grow your collection with good, recent cards for a smallish cost, I would recommend seeing if your local shop hosts Booster Draft tournaments, where you get to keep the cards you draft. You can practice up and see how people draft in places like here or here.
Posted 06 September 2011 at 04:20

[QUOTE=mateo531]Well, first off, I am a beginner in Magic: The Gathering. I have recently bought a bunch of cards at local stores, but I have gotten so many common cards that dont look powerful at all. Am I missing something or is there a way to make a decent deck with mostly common cards? I love the concept of the game, but I dont want to spend a ton of cash buying a ton of rare cards that can get expensive fast.[/QUOTE]

Magic is an expensive game, no way around it and the best cards cost a lot of money.

that said if you are in a group where everyone agrees to play only commons then there's a lot of fun to be had. But everyone must play by those rules because cheap decks loose to expensive decks and it will break the balance.

anyway here is a site with competitive common decks

http://pdcmagic.com/

there's some really good decks there and playing commons only can be lots of fun.

Another way to go is to create an all common Cube

you can read about cube drafting here: http://www.cubedrafting.com/

If you don't know what drafting is you should find a gamestore and join a few drafts so you know how it works. A cube is a pile of cards (mine is 500 cards) that you use to draft from. That way once you have your cube games are free and very balanced. Cube drafting is the best type of magic out there, it's soooo good. (well I haven't drafted a common cube yet, my cube is about 2500$ worth but hey, should be fun to)
Posted 06 September 2011 at 08:00

I probably have better cards than I realize. Im still learning how to put cards together to make less powerful cards much more powerful. How do you all feel about combos? It seems like using combos can be really powerful, but relies heavily on getting the right cards in a row, instead of being able to move fluently through the rounds and being able to adapt to your opponent's strategy.
Posted 07 September 2011 at 03:41