Discussion Forum

Mono blue mill Extended legal

Hi,

I've just finished putting together what I think is an okay mill deck (Extended legal), but would like to see if anyone has some suggestions for improvement. The deck link is:

http://www.mtgvault.com/ViewDeck.aspx?DeckID=230884

Thanks very much

Tom
Posted 11 September 2011 at 14:09

No opinions on this? I just want to know if there's anything I can do to improve it, or if there's anything obvious I'm missing.

Also, I want to make a version of this deck for Modern. I've tried to find some good card draw, mill and counter from the Modern sets, but if anyone can mention any "must includes" for a modern mill/control deck then please let me know.

Thanks

Tom
Posted 12 September 2011 at 22:43

playing mono blue in modern is just not competitive. Most of the best blue spells are either banned or older then 8th.

But if you really have to I would start with

2x Vedalken Shackles
4x Trapmaker's Snare
4x Archive Trap

Also what are you going to do against Eldrazi boys like Emrakul? 12post and through the breach decks are popular enough to take a big part of the field and you can't mill these deck before they kill you.

You would almost need 4x Leyline of the Void main in order to make this deck work. It would make Knights of the Reliquary and Tarmogofs manageble. And Vedalken Shackles a realistic tool.

But most of all you need another color, like red for blood moon or black for removal and quality mill cards like glimpse the unthinkable. You also need multiple colors if you want to play engineered explosives, which is good for blue because you can run academy ruins.
Posted 13 September 2011 at 12:11

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Seth. I think you're right, mono blue is a bit light for Modern, although I'll keep the build for Extended.

I'm linking the UB mill deck I'd drawn up in a new topic.

As an aside though, I'm pretty sure Nevermaker deals with Emrakul to some degree, since when Nevermaker's ability triggers, Nevermaker is no longer a spell. Then you play any mill card and Emrakul is back in their deck, which is miles better than in play. I concede though that the deck has some considerable weaknesses without another colour.

More suggestions on the Extended Mono blue deck are welcome.
Posted 13 September 2011 at 17:37

[QUOTE=Kerotan]As an aside though, I'm pretty sure Nevermaker deals with Emrakul to some degree, since when Nevermaker's ability triggers, Nevermaker is no longer a spell. Then you play any mill card and Emrakul is back in their deck, which is miles better than in play. I concede though that the deck has some considerable weaknesses without another colour.[/QUOTE]

Isn't a mill deck supposted to empty the other guys library. Your nevermakers aren't going to prevent Emrakul from shuffling their library back each time he hits the yard.
Posted 14 September 2011 at 07:02