Discussion Forum

Snap Question

If there are no creatures on the battlefield, can I cast Snap? If I cast snap and I don't want to bounce a target creature, do I have to?
Posted 12 September 2011 at 04:15

Im curious if it will work with no creatures on the field either. I assume it does but, assumption is not something to go by in this game. As far as not wanting to; if the card says "may" then it is optional. If it says something difinitive, "return target creature....." then you don't have a choice. Same thing like contagion clasp if you have a creature and your opponent doesn't, your creature will receive the -1/-1 counters.
Posted 12 September 2011 at 19:07

If an instant or sorcery has the word "target" on it, and there are no legal targets for it, then you cannot cast it.

Example: Hex's ruling
Posted 13 September 2011 at 04:50

[QUOTE=truegrave18]Im curious if it will work with no creatures on the field either. I assume it does but, assumption is not something to go by in this game. As far as not wanting to; if the card says "may" then it is optional. If it says something definitive, "return target creature....." then you don't have a choice. Same thing like contagion clasp if you have a creature and your opponent doesn't, your creature will receive the -1/-1 counters.[/QUOTE]

You can cast contagion clasp if there are no creatures on the board because the target effect does not occur until after the artifact is on the battlefield.

The -1/-1 ability needs a target, and will get a target if there is a legal one. No legal target means the ability has no effect.
Posted 13 September 2011 at 04:52

[QUOTE=SilverTabby]You can cast contagion clasp if there are no creatures on the board because the target effect does not occur until after the artifact is on the battlefield.

The -1/-1 ability needs a target, and will get a target if there is a legal one. No legal target means the ability has no effect.[/QUOTE]

Right, but what I was saying is if you have a creature and he doesn't, your creature would have to take the counters. Just like viridian corrupter, if you have an artifact out and your opponent does not, you sac your artifact.
Posted 13 September 2011 at 15:35

[QUOTE=truegrave18]Right, but what I was saying is if you have a creature and he doesn't, your creature would have to take the counters. Just like viridian corrupter, if you have an artifact out and your opponent does not, you sac your artifact.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=SilverTabby]The -1/-1 ability needs a target, and will get a target if there is a legal one. No legal target means the ability has no effect. [/QUOTE]

Abilities with the word target will get a target, whether you want one or not.

No legal target, no ability.
Posted 13 September 2011 at 21:42

[QUOTE=SilverTabby]Abilities with the word target will get a target, whether you want one or not.

No legal target, no ability.[/QUOTE]

Lol im not sure whats happening here. We keep stating the same thing, just wording it differently:D
Posted 14 September 2011 at 12:59

[QUOTE=truegrave18]Lol im not sure whats happening here. We keep stating the same thing, just wording it differently:D[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what you're saying here because I've already said it ;)
Posted 15 September 2011 at 17:13

[QUOTE=SilverTabby]I'm not sure what you're saying here because I've already said it ;)[/QUOTE]

lol touche good sir, touche:p
Posted 16 September 2011 at 17:43