Discussion Forum

How much is this card worth?

I've recently purchased an entire collection of cards from a local collector who was selling everything he owned. Among these are a bunch of signed cards that I've been selling off because I have no interest in collecting them. One of these cards is of particular interest and I have no idea what it would be worth, so I'm wondering if someone can give me some insight. First off, the card is just a blank World Championship card from Seattle 1998. Where the card's illustration should be is a hand-drawn Sol Ring done by Mark Tedin, he has also signed the card just underneath the drawing. Thanks in advance for any help anyone is willing to offer!
Posted 23 September 2011 at 11:25

as a card it's worthless, as a collectible for Mark Tedin fans...well I guess you'd have to find some and ask them.
Posted 23 September 2011 at 19:28

]I've recently purchased an entire collection of cards from a local collector who was selling everything he owned. Among these are a bunch of signed cards that I've been selling off because I have no interest in collecting them. One of these cards is of particular interest and I have no idea what it would be worth, so I'm wondering if someone can give me some insight. First off, the card is just a blank World Championship card from Seattle 1998. Where the card's illustration should be is a hand-drawn Sol Ring done by Mark Tedin, he has also signed the card just underneath the drawing. Thanks in advance for any help anyone is willing to offer! [/QUOTE]

You won't be able to put it in a tournament legal deck anytime soon, but that sounds like a one-of-a-kind collectable.

I say put in a card sleeve inside a card sleeve immediately, get it away from all sunlight, and possibly take a picture of it and try to get someone who actually knows what he's talking about to look at it.
Posted 24 September 2011 at 01:05

There are some people who would pay considerable amounts of money for that. Mark Tedin is a pretty influential artist as far as MTG is concerned, having drawn some of magic's most loved/hated cards.

Seras is correct that it cannot be used in any deck outside of casual, but I wouldn't use it in a deck anyways...If I were you I would try to find an expert or something who could appraise it and give you a price range.
Posted 24 September 2011 at 01:54

Thanks for the responses so far guys. I already knew this card wouldn't be usable outside of casual play, but even if I were to keep it, I wouldn't be using it in a deck. I live in a fairly small town, so there are no MTG experts around here that I know of who would be able to accurately appraise this for me, which is why I figured my best bet would be try and find someone who could give me some info on these forums.

P.S. Don't worry, the card is being well taken care of; it's inside a card sleeve, then inside a card sheet and kept in a binder.
Posted 24 September 2011 at 11:51

I'm no expert, but I'd say a pretty penny... a pretty large penny.
Posted 25 September 2011 at 07:47

Yeah, stuff like that is pretty rare and pretty hard to sell. I'd definitely try and find a Mark Tedin fan to sell it to, but pricewise? Almost impossible to tell.
Posted 28 September 2011 at 23:13

[QUOTE=LithiumI0n]
P.S. Don't worry, the card is being well taken care of; it's inside a card sleeve, then inside a card sheet and kept in a binder.[/QUOTE]

Why not put it into a toploader?
Posted 29 September 2011 at 22:09

[QUOTE=dagbaker]Why not put it into a toploader?[/QUOTE]

When I bought the cards, they were already all in the binder, so that's just the way I kept them.
Posted 30 September 2011 at 00:18