Discussion Forum

UB Grave Hate...HELP!

First Post. Suffer the Paradigm

So I'm coming back from a ten year hiatus in Magic. Turns out my niece and nephew just started playing, and so they bought me a starter pack to teach them some "old school moves". It sucks...hard.

I really like 'surewhynot' and company's extraction decks, but have a somewhat limited budget.

So that leaves me with this.....I only own the Doomblades, Geth's, GftT, and Time Reversal. Does this look "solid" for a semi-competitive casual group? We pretty much play for pride, and seeing as I'm the old man, I have it in spades.

Main question: Creatures yay or nay?

Creatures
1x Circu, Dimir Lobotomist
2x Hedron Crab

Land
4x Ghost Quarter
2x River of Tears
1x Darkslick Shores
5x Swamp
4x Drowned Catacomb
5x Island

Spells
3x Glimpse the Unthinkable
3x Perplex
2x Recoil
3x Paradigm Shift
3x Mind Funeral
4x Archive Trap
3x Suffer the Past
3x Mana Leak
3x Doom Blade
2x Duress
2x Go for the Throat
2x Despise
2x Geth's Verdict
1x Time Reversal

To let you know, I'm in a diverse group, but my two main opponents play green stompy, green buff/white protection, and red/white burn.
Posted 26 September 2011 at 06:07

If your running on a budget you might want to re think the deck. Glimpse the unthinkable generally runs 15 a piece, mill cards are just really expensive.
Posted 26 September 2011 at 19:42

So does that mean it's bad?

80 green-backs is at the top end of my budget yes, but I would really like to run something like this. It just seems "fun". :P

I changed a small bit of this. For the time being I'm running this with just basic lands till I can buy the other ones.

Creatures
2x Circu, Dimir Lobotomist

Land
4x Ghost Quarter
2x River of Tears
1x Darkslick Shores
5x Swamp
4x Drowned Catacomb
5x Island

Spells
3x Glimpse the Unthinkable
3x Perplex
2x Recoil
3x Dark Ritual
3x Mind Funeral
4x Archive Trap
3x Suffer the Past
3x Mana Leak
4x Doom Blade
2x Duress
2x Go for the Throat
2x Despise
2x Geth's Verdict
1x Time Reversal

My "win-conditions" I suppose are the 'suffer the past', and 'mill'. Doesn't sound to sound a win condition, but that's what I got for now. Any other thoughts?
Posted 26 September 2011 at 22:19

Hmmm. It seems pretty decent, I'm just no sure how it will work out. You have a few cards that'll allow you to control their amount of creatures such as doomblade, which is good considering you only have two Circu's and you don't want to block with him. You have countering, one which could also be hand destruction. Use that on the right thing while they have five or more cards in their hand, excellent. That grave hate card really helps a deck like yours out just for the fact you have two creatures, the damage it does wont be really helpful just because your milling them. I would at least do a strict proxy test for no bragging rights. Two cards in the sideboard you WILL want are Grimoirr thief, he's excellent mill/conter spell creature, and four tome scour. It cost 1 U and mils five cards. Also id drop time reversal.
Posted 27 September 2011 at 19:13

Did some more research here's the new updated list. Totally different direction, but to my untrained eye, seems much more cohesive, and stronger.

Creatures
3x Cosi's Trickster
2x Vampire Nighthawk

Enchantments
3x Psychic Surgery

Land
1x Underground River
3x Jwar Isle Refuge
3x Creeping Tar Pit
3x Drowned Catacomb
4x Island
5x Swamp
2x Ghost Quarter

Spells
4x Extirpate
2x Disperse
3x Archive Trap
3x Spell Pierce
3x Sadistic Sacrament
3x Duress
3x Horrifying Revelation
3x Geth's Verdict
3x Praetor's Grasp
4x Surgical Extraction
Posted 29 September 2011 at 05:02

Deckbuilding Tip: either you play a lot of creatures or you play non at all. This somewhat depends on the creatures you are playing but it's good advice 99% of the time.
The reason is that most decks run creature removal, if you play a lot of creatures you try to overwhelm them so that their limited removal falls short. But if you play no creatures at all, all their removal cards become dead cards giving you card advantage.
Playing a few creatures is hard because they will have the removal to keep up and you'll end up with a meaningless exchange of cards.

If you want to mill your opponents why not create a control deck that wins on a combo. For instance Temple Bell (0.95$) + Mind Over Matter (8%)+ an eldrazi to discard so you can't mill yourself (for example Kozilek, Butcher of Truth 13$). That's your kill there and it will cost you 22$. Fill the rest of the deck with permission cards (counterspell and the likes), board control and card draw. Play cards like Ribbons of Night, cards that fill a double role, in this case the role of spot removal and card draw.
You could still play utility creatures like Solemn Simulacrum, Solemn fetches you a land when it comes into play, it can block and when it dies you draw a card. That's a lot of advantage from one card so you don't really care that they shoot it down.It's the sort of card advantage you need.

It's a much stronger concept then yours. it doesn't want to be fast, it's build to break any other type of deck rather then do it's own thing.
Posted 29 September 2011 at 08:00