Discussion Forum

Question about state based effects (I think).

Okay I'm here playtesting a deck I made and I've run into a bit of a question that might seem impractical at first but could very well help. Now, I'm not really sure about any of this area of ruling as I'm a very novice player but isn't Legendary status state based? Now it's not entirely clear to me what exactly state based is and it's hard to claim as such but with what little I know, it sorta makes sense.

Basically, to fill in my situation, say I have an Elesh Norn in play. Now what exactly would happen if I were to cast Cackling Counterpart on it? A creature with 0 toughness is state based but the legendary rule is also state based so for a brief second, wouldn't all my opponents stuff get -4/-4, then both Elesh Norns are put into the graveyard?

Please and thanks for any and all help and feel free to call me stupid, like I said, I have no idea about this area of mtg.
Posted 02 October 2011 at 06:59

]
704.3. Whenever a player would get priority... the game checks...state-based actions, then performs all applicable state-based actions simultaneously as a single event[/QUOTE]

(The Legends rule is state-based)
(Creatures dieing is state-based)

So yes, all of your opponents creatures would die along with both of your copies of Elesh Norn, Grand Cenobite
Posted 02 October 2011 at 11:44

That's pretty clever. A cookie for both of you :)
Posted 02 October 2011 at 17:51

sooo....the 2nd elesh norn would be cast, the opponents creatures would get -4/-4 and then state based actions would come into play?
Posted 20 December 2011 at 20:27