Discussion Forum

Tree of Redemption question lol

Mkay so I'm sitting here with this hunk of steaming crap and I'm trying to think on how it'd be playable like at all and I got wondering, what if I threw on something like divine favor to give it +1/+3. Now, say my life is at 5 and Tree of Redemption is a 1/16 because of divine favor. If I were to tap to exchange life and toughness, would my life become 16 then Tree of redemption becomes a 0/5 THEN apply the +1/+3 to make it a 1/8? Heck, I could see spamming toughness-buffing things with a tree being very annoying if this would work and I'd so want to be the nub to do it :3
Posted 03 October 2011 at 03:35

I don't believe Tree of Redemption's toughness ever changes, but I could be mistaken. I know of any precedence for a creature's static p/t to be permanently changed without another permanent being attached to it, ergo I'd expect a detailed explanation (...) following the rules text.

Don't quote me on this, but I also believe buffs granted by auras and equipment use... I don't know what the official term would be.. time stamps? For example, if you were to enchant a creature with Divine Favor, then switch it's p/t until eot, the buff would switch to +3/+1. Similar to how if an opponent gets Jin-Gitaxias into play, and I cast a Spellbook on my next turn, I'd have no maximum hand size. But again, don't quote me on this, but if I'm right in my second paragraph and wrong in my first, then the Tree's toughness would become your life total, and not receive +3 from Divine Favor.
Posted 03 October 2011 at 14:21

Let me just say this: This card is messing around with exchange effects, so it's a little awkward sometimes.

divine favor on the tree, tree is a 1/16. Awkward
You activate the ability and it resolves, tree's toughness switches with your five life, you're now at 16. Continuous effects are applied and it's now a 1/8.

Sound good?
Posted 06 October 2011 at 11:00

Ah, that's interesting. So if you could resolve multiple untap affects in a turn, your life and the Tree's toughness would gradually increase.

How does that work with my example in the second paragraph then? If you enchanted Tree of Redemption with Divine Favor (1/16) and later switched its power and toughness, would it's buff from Divine Favor grant it +1/+3 (14/3) or +3/+1 (16/1)?

Also, does exchanging life totals count as life gain/loss? I'd usually just look these things up, but ever since my fiancee moved in with me I've had increasingly less time to mess around with Magic :3
Posted 06 October 2011 at 15:11

Nope, exchange is a modifying action, much like a creature "becoming" something.
Posted 06 October 2011 at 16:33

Hnnng, must refrain from making retarded G/W lifegain.
Posted 06 October 2011 at 20:25

Does count as gaining or losing life. The game calculates what the difference between the exchanges is and you add or lose life accordingly. Not unlike your life total being set to a specific number. It will trigger effects that trigger on life loss or life gain, depending on where your health went.
Posted 06 October 2011 at 23:03

[QUOTE=surewhynot]Nope, exchange is a modifying action, much like a creature "becoming" something.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure what you said was wrong, look at this for example...

Soul Conduit: http://gatherer.wizards.com/pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=233048
"When the life totals are exchanged, each player gains or loses the amount of life necessary to equal the other player's previous life total."

d: yep.
Posted 12 December 2011 at 06:00