Discussion Forum

Fight+trample?

Ok, last night while playing my friend we came to heads while playing with my new innistrad werewolf deck, as well as her own. (Please forgive me if this is a bit long winded.)

Here is what happend, she had a two 2/1 creatures, and I had one Merciless Predator on my side, as well as a Kessig Wolf Run at the ready, and in hand a Prey Upon. I think for a moment, and then deside to tap Kessig Wolf Run for XRG for it's cost giving my creature trample+2 making my creature a 5/2, and soon after before I attack I play Prey Upon to fight one of her creatures... killing it with ease and causing damage with trample bringing her life total to 3, and since the creature does not tap inreguard to fight, I then swing with my creature, and she blocks losing her last greature and soon after losing the game seeing she was down 3 life. In the end I was really smug about my little newfound combo, but it was short lived

She soon ask how she took the extra 3 damage leading up to her defeat due to trample+fight, thus the clash of the heads. We both then looked back at some old cards such as Overrun Which states. (If a creature you control would deal enough damage to it's blokers to destroy them, you may have it deal the rest of its damage to defending player or planeswalker.) I then stated... " I know only blockers can be dealt such damage, but since fight makes both creatures... well, fight. Thus this being the case that both creatures target each others power... makes me think that trample damage should still be dealt." Blaw blaw blaw, and so forth

Still confused even after a long debate between the both of us, along with a few called up friends in ower magic group, we looked back at wizards rulings, and a few other sites such as this and many others, and again we found nothing about trample effects being in the list of things that did not work with fight other then double strike. In the end we all agreed to disagree that this could well be another card combo of sorts that breaks the rules of magic... as it's shown to do in the past with many cards.

My question is... does fight+trample work insink? Sorry if I asweared my own question... I simply want a 100% insight on this matter to resolve it, and if it turns out it does not work... wizards needs to jump on this and make a statment so poor saps such as my self don't have to ask such questions. *Laughs*
Posted 07 October 2011 at 12:09

Trample only applies to Combat Damage so it has no interaction with the Fight mechanic.
Posted 07 October 2011 at 13:23

[QUOTE=Seras]Trample only applies to Combat Damage so it has no interaction with the Fight mechanic.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmmn, darn. There goes my idea of a interesting play. *Shrugs* Oh well...

Anywho, thanks for your help. :)
Posted 07 October 2011 at 13:28

This is ironic. Wizards claim they want to make the game easier to understand to new players (which lead to the M10 rule changes) and they come up with these new flavorable names for mechanics like when a creature dies and the new "fight".

Both terms only confuse new players, they must be morons not to see this. "Put into the graveyard" was very clear about what happened, "dies", not clear in the slightest.

And now "Fight", if I were new I would think when two creatures Fight they would deal combat damage right. Not so much...

thanks wizards, way to go!!!!

PS to Howlinger: Seras is right, trample only applies to damage dealt by attacking creatures during the combat step.
Posted 07 October 2011 at 13:55

The irony is, I think, they created new keywords to reduce multiple word explanations to a single word; therefore, increasing the amount of room on cards to provide additional rules text. Then they have to occupy more space to explain the new keywords via (reminder text). Overall I'm in favor of the change -- "dies" is simple and implies a creature being sent to the graveyard from the battlefield for any reason. What I don't like is the choice of keyword for "fight" which does sound a bit combat-centric (feels like it could read "When this creature attacks, target creature blocks it if able."), and the reminder text is lacking one key phrase to relieve any confusion -- "each creature deals non-combat damage. . ."
Posted 07 October 2011 at 14:36

[QUOTE=Seth]This is ironic. Wizards claim they want to make the game easier to understand to new players (which lead to the M10 rule changes) and they come up with these new flavorable names for mechanics like when a creature dies and the new "fight".

Both terms only confuse new players, they must be morons not to see this. "Put into the graveyard" was very clear about what happened, "dies", not clear in the slightest.

And now "Fight", if I were new I would think when two creatures Fight they would deal combat damage right. Not so much...

thanks wizards, way to go!!!!

PS to Howlinger: Seras is right, trample only applies to damage dealt by attacking creatures during the combat step.[/QUOTE]

I figured this idea wouldent work in the end, but with the lack of info on wizards explaing... and me being a noob. Well... what can I say, I tryed.
Posted 07 October 2011 at 16:42

I see trample as your creature is targeting the player, and someone happens to step infront of you and you just run them over and then hit the player.

Where as "Fight" you are targeting that creature. So after you kill him there wasn't anything else you were going for so why just trample around?

I like to think of rules in a real battle situation. Such as my friends thinking Spiders with reach shot their webs out of there butts to hit the birds. I said no I see it more as they have there webs in the trees that a creature flies through.
Posted 16 October 2011 at 17:23

Also with cards that say Combat Damage, does that count towards plainswalkers? Such as you attack a plainswalker and they use Fog?

Does that prevent all damage to that plainswalker?
Posted 16 October 2011 at 18:08

Damage dealt by a creature to a planeswalker from it attacking IS combat damage and thus, it gets prevented.
Posted 17 October 2011 at 19:30